Mystery Mesh-like Material from Matoaka

Kimi64

I have been working on a chunk of dried matrix from Matoaka. As I dusted it off with a brush, I noticed this mesh-like material. The photo is magnified 4x, & the mesh is estimated at 4 cm across. It looks very thin & fragile, so I am not sure if I should try to remove it or just leave it be for now. This is the largest chunk that I have at home, so you know it will kill me to leave it like that. I also found a tiny little ecphora & a tiny crab claw in the same matrix, so I know it is good material. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

IMG_20180908_210748259.jpg

If it came in the same piece of matrix as the Ecphora and crab claw, it cannot be a fenestrate bryozoan as they became extinct in the Triassic (I think). 

I think it's a cheilostome bryozoan. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

24 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

If it came in the same piece of matrix as the Ecphora and crab claw, it cannot be a fenestrate bryozoan as they became extinct in the Triassic (I think). 

I think it's a cheilostome bryozoan. 

You are right: not a fenestrate.  I did not take the time to figure out the age of the Matoaka Fm.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Interesting to see such bryo's from after the Paleozoic.

(The pic is magnified 4x? The bryo only spans 8cm on my screen, so it must be 2x, unless you shrunk before posting?)

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Interesting to see such bryo's from after the Paleozoic.

(The pic is magnified 4x? The bryo only spans 8cm on my screen, so it must be 2x, unless you shrunk before posting?)

That is entirely possible, I was trying different magnification levels before I took that photo. 

Archived