Are these oviraptor eggs real?

21 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

I was told that these are made in Henan.  It was made by chemicals, and the shell colour and "old" look of the shell were fine tuned by rubbing the eggs with hands.  Amazing, right?  If it was not told by a seller of fake eggs from Henan, I would just get these fake eggs as they look so real and good.

Wow! I doubt those are fakes, but if these you show are fake, then fakes got so good it's impossible to tell real from fake from pics only...

Appears there is some restoration on those specimens, however I would be really surprised if those are completely fake!

On 9/9/2018 at 2:04 AM, DPS Ammonite said:

Welcome to the Forum. 

Do you have a locality and age for these? Better up-close photos of the texture will help with an ID.

I like the look of these but I am not an expert. Let us bring in our experts to help. @CBchiefski and @Troodon 

Thanks but a long way from being an eggspert.

On 9/9/2018 at 1:46 AM, mapo said:

I wonder if you can tell whether these eggs are real or reconstructed or simply fakes?

Thanks!

On 9/9/2018 at 10:47 AM, HamptonsDoc said:

For several reasons I would not purchase these- I think they are very good fakes or composites.

1- The matrix does not look right for eggs of this type from China or Mongolia (the only places these are found).

2- The eggs are too perfect to be left with their bottom halves stuck in matrix which leads me to believe the shell was placed there by man.  If the top portion of the eggs look this good with this amount of inflation there is a good chance the bottom portion would be just as good.  Hatching windows of this type are not typically seen as taking the egg and cutting it in half longways as these are presented.  If these were real and prepped like this then the preparer would know that if he were to free the eggs of all its matrix and was in this good of condition then they would be worth around $3k for each egg, significantly more than the asking price!

3- The third reason...if you're interested to know please PM me!

STAY AWAY!

On 9/9/2018 at 3:55 PM, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

I disagree. In my opinion the first thing that should be examined is the ornamentation of the shell. And there is a perfect continuity of ornamentation between one crack and another;

In addition, I see a fragment of eggshell isolated and calcite traversing across the matrix, and this is already a good start to excellent news of possibly real. :dinothumb:

And there is no way to waste so much time falsifying continuity in the ornamentation of the bark to make so little profit. The matrix has granulation, fragments of rocks and coloring compatible with what I expect to be real. However, I must admit that there are strange areas in the eggs where possibly there was restoration:

Where did the shell ornament go? :blink:

image.png.73f42adf00a24ff6ca8ab4192649cfe2.png

These eggs are found in thousands in China, digging water wells, blowing up quarries, pitting holes to repair asphalt and finally ... For the Chinese, eggs like these are perfectly normal, as they exist in abundance and in large tons. But we who live in other countries, we are amazed by the perfect state of conservation that many eggs can reach. Are there Chinese egg forgeries? Of course there are! But the biggest point of this phenomenon is that fake eggs can come out of china easily, even mixed with real eggs, but the fact is that real eggs can not leave China.

I have no doubt that someone has discovered a new mine of theropods eggs in China, and someone has discovered how to mix these real eggs with fake eggs and export everything through Hong Kong.  The new scares the collectors and this is normal, but we must not forget that when the Keichousaurus arrived on the international market, everyone said they were fakes.  Shoot the first fossil who has no sin!

In my opinion, even restored in several points, it is still an excellent acquisition!

On 9/9/2018 at 7:28 PM, -Andy- said:

I would skip these eggs too. Every Oviraptorid egg in matrix that I've ever seen in person turned out to either be fake, or heavily composited.

My advice for getting Oviraptorid eggs is: Always get one free of matrix.

There's another reason why I advise skipping these eggs, so feel free to PM @HamptonsDoc or I to ask why.

On 9/9/2018 at 8:06 PM, Crazyhen said:

I agree with you entirely, @HamptonsDoc.  Indeed fake eggs are made with ever better techniques.  Take a look of the eggs below.  They were man-made but it's so difficult to tell that they are fake.

On 9/10/2018 at 1:41 AM, mapo said:

Thanks for the helps guys! I will stay away from this-there is no point going for something if there are serious doubts about its authenticity. 

Sorry for such a delay, life has been busy lately. I am very certain these are fakes, however, as pointed out fakes such as these can incredibly difficult to distinguish from real eggs.  The reasons Seguidora listed do act as a solid test but must be used in combination with additional details which these lack. The particular two being listed I have seen other fakes of which are identical, and there are numerous copies circulating around.  If listed as a cast or copy then perhaps it could be considered but just be aware, that is all you are getting. As I think was hinted at before, these have a history and were based off a real pair however that pair will not be ever sold.

Archived