Ostracod? Ontario, Ordovician

GavySwan

Hi all, 

Found these itty bitties in a park in Orillia, Ontario. They’re not in situ as they’re in ornamental stones around the playground. We also find lots of gastropods and brahiopods in these stones. Not having rocks in situ is less than ideal but “urban fossil hunting” is awesome when you’ve got young kids in tow! 

I’ve never actually seen ostracod fossils before, so just wondering if these could be some? They look like the approximate right shape. They are quite tiny, around 3-4 mm. Canadian quarter for scale. 

Thanks for any help! 

Gavy

BC15D5A4-1C33-4049-A2AA-6A0E98843334.jpeg

3E202C8C-60F7-4AD4-B362-800D3D5E55E9.jpeg

DDC32361-8705-4046-BD83-7EBE702E7823.jpeg

They're the right shape but larger (ones here are about 1 mm) than what I find in Kansas. I don't know if they attained this larger size in your area, but quite possibly.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

That's within the reasonable size range for ostracods. I saw ostracods that were about that size very frequently in the Gull River formation for work this summer and they are also fairly ubiquitous in other Ontarian paleozoic rocks.

And sometimes they get really big!  I found these in the Silurian of Mich a couple weeks ago.  They are 2 *cm* in length.

20180909_155007.thumb.jpg.6d719aa009651957c1b303e64885d08e.jpg

Thanks so much, folks! They’re pretty cute lil’ dudes, at any rate. I’ll hit the books and see if I can find anything more about them in this area, specifically. 

Gavy

They are pretty common in the Gull River fm. rocks in the Orillia area and the size is right. Eoleperditia do get bigger, but there are juveniles. Most ostracods in the area are smaller than yours.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Archived