Rawkz

I am a rock hound who came across this the other day and I am not sure what to think about it. I am almost positive it’s a tooth but not sure from what species. I was only allowed to upload 2 pictures so I chose these 2. Does anyone know what it may be? If it is a tooth the tip has been busted off at some point.  Thanks

A789C86D-25A4-4C2D-8B42-231BCB288F90.jpeg

A811B6C7-11E9-4A8C-A402-FBC662CF9609.jpeg

You can upload more than 1 pic at a time by cropping the photos & then resizing them.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

It “appears” that there is a layer of sandstone on top of a harder base that forms the shape. If I scraped off the layer I believe we could see the “fossil” better but I don’t want to mess with it until I know what it is and/or know what I am doing. There are a lot of deposited fossilized teeth in the soil from when this area was an inland sea. This area however was on or near the shore of the last several inland sea’s so I get mostly sea creature teeth but sometimes land creature teeth. 

I also just read a post describing the best ways to post pictures so I will post some better pics soon

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Unfortunately your item is not a tooth. :( 

It has no enamel, as a tooth would have, and no bony/root structure anywhere. 

I believe you have a piece of rock - possibly sandstone, as stated by Adam.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

2 hours ago, Rawkz said:

I was only allowed to upload 2 pictures so I chose these 2

You can add pictures in the replies.

If the pictures are reduced to much it can make it hard to see details.

Sometimes it is necessary to refresh the page (if getting an overlimit notice with new uploads.)

I agree with a sandstone, not a tooth.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived