Beginner tools help!

Udderly Abducted

15 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Agreed. A snake bite kit is just as effective as standing in traffic and handing out 20$ bills to strangers.

Thought about it after I posted, a logical statement for this group: a snake bite kit is about as useful as teeth on a trilobite :heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2020 at 12:04 AM, Sjfriend said:

As someone who does a lot of work with snakes, snake bite kits are worthless in real life! The venom absorbs into the flesh all but immediately. Just avoid them. They have no desire to eat you.

As someone who has moved a lot of rattlesnakes (and copperheads when I lived in Maryland) this is the best advice you can get. In the west, I've moved everything from a Sidewinder (like the same danger level (LD50) as a Copperhead to a Mojave Green (LD50 = yikes) rattlesnake. Never put your hands where you can see them, never step over a log (stand on top and jump), and never ever try to play with a venomous snake. Ever seen a full grown Western Diamondback? I've moved and had some venomous animals (mostly arachnids) and never been bitten. Even venomous animals that have little threat to humans can cause serious reactions in some folks - EpiPen for bees, some spiders, and some scorpions may say your life.

Snake Leggings and good boots are good but the best protection is to keep vigilant and let the snake(s) go on their way. Give nature the respect your hunter/gather relatives did and you will be much better off....

On 12/11/2020 at 8:04 AM, LabRatKing said:

With the advent of CroFab, the need to identify the snake is a waste of time (unless you are in coral snake country...)

Best defense to make some noise, slow down and know what to look for. All snakebites are the human's fault, not the snake's.

For the Western Coral Antivenom is no longer manufactured because there has been no one bitten in a long time. Just because of their size and beauty you might want to pick one up - don't.