Looking for a Stereo Microscope in Europe

The Wellsite Geologist

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to buy a Stereo Microscope in Europe for microfossil observation and was wondering if anyone can point out recommended brands.

The price range for me is <400 Euros.

Thanks!

If you want a solid used one in this price range, I can only recommend the Zeiss SM 20 / Zeiss SS XX (CZJ). Its robust, optic is ok, if you are ok with mechanics you can easily clean and adjust it by yourself. It has several magnifications with a revolversystem (so no zoom, but different magnifications without changings the okkular). Magnification is good and bright up to 40x, possible is magn. up to 100x, but than it is weak in light and picturequality. Photography is possible with a small camera via okkular, or via adapter through the tube with a DSLR.

There are some new models, sometimes with integrated digital cameras. If you prefer those I can take a look under colleagues what they did use for fieldwork fitting below 400€.

But: it would be hard to get a good/very good complete system in the called financial range.

I don't know if links to a well known auktionary platform are allowed here. If not, I can send some via personal message.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look into Zeiss Microscopes.

I'm currently also looking at an "Optika Stereo Microscope SZM-1" and a "Euromex SB.1902 StereoBlue", they seem nice...seems like my budget might have to become <500 Euros.

If you can please send me a PM with the link to the mentioned auction platform.

Thank you for the help and sorry for the late reply!

Edited by The Wellsite Geologist

Hi, 

You could take a look at Brunel website as that is where I got my stereo long arm from, I use it all of the time for micro fossils and it has plenty of room to study stuff on bigger rocks. They have a big selection for low prices. Plenty of accessories.

Never ask a starfish for directions

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 8:10 AM, Brittle Star said:

Hi, 

You could take a look at Brunel website as that is where I got my stereo long arm from, I use it all of the time for micro fossils and it has plenty of room to study stuff on bigger rocks. They have a big selection for low prices. Plenty of accessories.

Sounds like a good reference, thank you.

22 hours ago, Johan said:

I personally like the brand Euromex. I got my (home) microscope here: https://georockshop.com/index.php/cPath/61_71 Their site is a bit old/crappy, but they have some nice offers. Withing the EU, shipping is free from 75 euro, so that should be no problem when you buy a microscope. 

I'm keeping my eye on a couple of Euromex, glad to know you're happy with them.

Also thanks for the webstore recommendation, looks nice.

• 4 months later...

I am baltic amber researcher ( inclusions )  and collctor.

For only observations i got Bresser Advance ICD + lights from illuminator - i do not use lights from microsope, for ambers it is bad :)
Works perfect. Not expensive. PM me for any questions.

Artur

PS.
One of my friend made me from this binocular - trinocular and i can pin photocamera.
Now i am using something different, but that Bresser works for me few years and it was ok.
Depends how big are your microfossils. I have in amber objects even lower than 1mm.