Still_human

41 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

Looks fishy. Scale maybe?

Hmm, that never would've occurred to me! Thanks, its sure shaped like a fish scale, alright! I'm no ancient fish expert, so I have no idea what, if any, had scales with that texture, though. Hopefully someone else will, if it is a scale.

See this thread.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

See this thread.

Thank you, that's cool, Ive never seen fish scales like that. Sadly it can't be the same answer as those though, because these are Cretaceous:/ but at least now I know it's definitely a possible fish too. Has anyone ever seen crocodile scutes this shape? Maybe I can eliminate them and narrow it to just fish!

12 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Sturgeon scutes.

Image result for sturgeon scute fossil

Wow, that's really close! I'll hafta check and see if those are found at khouribga.

I can't find any mention. I always have trouble finding somewhere that has the information easily offered. Usually a site will just mention 1 or 2 things found somewhere. Or if I'm lucky, it'll mention 1 or 2 of multiple types of animals found there. I don't know if Ive EVER found somewhere that actually lists the animals found at a site, or even mentions them all, even if it turns out there were only half a dozen major animals, or something:( 

Lots of fish in Morocco, and it looks very fishy. They do have a few lungfish.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

15 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Lots of fish in Morocco, and it looks very fishy. They do have a few lungfish.

Ive done a ton of searching now, and I still can't find a match. The closest thing so far, which IS actually pretty close, is a sturgeon scale. They have totally different shapes at the base/back, which I don't think would change along the fish, but Ive seen sturgeon scales that DO have very different back/bases(different species?) just not exactly like this one.

Depending on the texture, might also be a turtle scute. Can you post pictures of the cross section?

By the way, the most reliable source of information about fossils are papers in peer-reviewed scientific journals. Go to Google Scholar/NCBI/Sci-Hub or other similar resources and type the keywords there to find academic papers on a specific topic, such as fossil ichthyofauna from the Maastrichthian of Morocco. To be entirely sure about species level ID you should compare your specimen to holotypes - find out which paper described for the first time your species of interest. Identifications of sellers or amateur paleontologists posting on their websites are not always accurate.

The Tooth Fairy

Archived