A Very Large Pulalius vulgaris from Washington

RJB

I went on a fossil trip to the state of Washington and bought a bunch of fossil concretions, agatized Aturia and clams and a couple other odd things.  Whilst buying and making trade deals, part of one deal was to do my majic on this large crab in a concretion.  Funny thing is, I knew this crab from several years ago.  I offered the guy who found this crab money for it every year for a few years but he just didnt want to let go of it.  I cant blame him, its a really big crab.  He had traded it to my new freind for a really really nice and really exspensive agatized Aturia.  As part of a trade I offered my services and told him I go do my majic on it.  He had heard of me and seen some of my work so he let me bring it home.   Seems like im getting known as the 'Crab Guy'?  Nice.  So, today I went on the prep attack on this rock.  Its got a really soft 'rine' and trying to save it is really hard. Lots of glue.  also removed lots of rock to get it to where I want so I can do the 'smoothing' and make the rock contour to the crab.  The guy who prepped this out went really deep in places, so its making for more difficulty and not what im used to.  Gunna be interesting to see this play out. 

1sr pic is how I received it.  2nd pic is me trying to save the 'rine'!  3rd pic is after a bunch of rock removal.  A long ways to go still.

RB

GR-A.JPG

GR-B.JPG

GR-C.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

where can I get crabs.......like those :)

Is Washington the only place for them?

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

6 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

You can get crabs in the limestone pits of SoFlorida, and many pieces besides.

Thanks Walt.  They are not in concretions per se, but are a part of the coquina mix and rarely all of a  whole piece.

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

Thanks Walt.  They are not in concretions per se, but are a part of the coquina mix and rarely all of a  whole piece.

Thanks!  gonna have to get over to Florida this winter...lots to collect there.

56 minutes ago, Walt said:

where can I get crabs.......like those :)

Is Washington the only place for them?

Hey Walt, with no connections, it could be almost impossible to get these Washington crabs.  Ive been going there every year for way over 20 years and Im still always on the lookout for more conections.  With everything being posted No Tresspassing and gates everywhere nowadays, its becoming very hard to get crab concretions.  20 years ago, and knowing where to go, all i had to do was 'pick them up'.  Not so any more.  I do wish you the best of luck though.

RB

• I found this Informative 2

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hey Walt, with no connections, it could be almost impossible to get these Washington crabs.  Ive been going there every year for way over 20 years and Im still always on the lookout for more conections.  With everything being posted No Tresspassing and gates everywhere nowadays, its becoming very hard to get crab concretions.  20 years ago, and knowing where to go, all i had to do was 'pick them up'.  Not so any more.  I do wish you the best of luck though.

RB

Thanks, RB!  Guess I will just have to enjoy looking at yours :D

29 minutes ago, Walt said:

Thanks, RB!  Guess I will just have to enjoy looking at yours

No Walt, I mean, yeah, you can enjoy mine, but keep an eye out for anybody on the net who may hunt for or have any concretions from Washington.  Be careful though.  There are sometimes worthless concretions out there on the net.  I have found area's  where each and every concretion is just calcite junk and thousands of them.  It pays to know the locations of where they come from.  Or if nothing else, to be lucky. 

RB

• I found this Informative 2

Yeah, work your magic crab guy!:D

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

20 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

if anyone can make a mediocre prep on a crab into a beauty it’s you sir.

Thanks man

20 hours ago, ynot said:

hideous beast.

That was funny.  The thing for me is,,  I know the guy who enitialy prepped this and why he beat it up so badly with his scribe I have no idea?  Im gunna hafta do a bit of repair on this 'Hidious Beast'.

RB

Ok, Ive got almost 10 hours into cleaning this 'hidious beast' up.  Took me quite awhile to smooth out the rock, and also not used to how deep this other guy went with his airscribe and litteraly have to clean  up rock with most of the legs being 'pedistaled'!!!  Something im not used to.  Ive also taken this intire rock under the kitchen sink faucet with soap and cleaned it up with a used tooth brush and then letting it dry completely.  then I have some rock to rebuild and lots of little repairs on the crab itself.   Even though this crab was beat  up purty good, its now starting to look purty dang good.  Just takes some time and some TLC. 

GR-D.JPG

GR-E.JPG

GR-F.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

As  you say, it looked a bit sorry for itself to start with, but is now looking jolly good! 

Result! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Pure artistry, Ron. :wub: 

Amazing!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You certainly have dressed that crab up nicely considering how it looked before.  Too bad it was so badly abused in its initial prep.

I did some repair work today on this crab today. Im having lots of fun with this crab, but its gunna get real tuff finishing out the face and the inside of the pincer area's. Its going to take longer than I had anticipated but for me, thats par for course.  In this 1st pic the black circles are were I made some fake matrix and I will tool those out on my next prep session.
The red circles are where I applied a two part putty and once cured, I will sculp and then do my acrylic work. Pics 2 and 3 are where I took off some glue that was already there when I got this crab. With that part of the rock not being tooled, the glue would have looked really bad. Now gone. All it took was a bit of acitone and about 6 minutes of work. TaDaaaa!!! Not even an hour of work today on this crab, but about 4 hours to go. Gunna be real nice once done. I wish all crabs were this nice to work on!!!

RB

GR-G.JPG

GR-H.JPG

GR-I.JPG

20 minutes ago, crabfossilsteve said:

You certainly have dressed that crab up nicely considering how it looked before.  Too bad it was so badly abused in its initial prep.

I dont want to put a name to the guy who first attacked this concretion, but you know him.  The thing is, he was using a tip on his ME9100 that was very dull, and this crab is what I call a 'glass crab'.  Very very fragile just like glass.  And with that dull tip, it was taking off big parts of rock instead of little teeny tiny parts of rock.  Big parts of rock was also taking off chunks of crab.  Not near as much control with a sharp tip. anyways, im doing what I can.

RB