A Very Large Pulalius vulgaris from Washington

RJB

That now makes a lot of sense.  I've seen those crab specimens also and with a dull tip....yikes.  I've been using a Microjack 5 held at an extreme angle to the crab/matrix and follow the crab's shell ;material.  that has helped quite a bit.  Oh, I know him.  Did you get to see and hang out while you were out there recently.  Hope all is well with him and family.

On 9/24/2018 at 7:49 AM, crabfossilsteve said:

That now makes a lot of sense.  I've seen those crab specimens also and with a dull tip....yikes.  I've been using a Microjack 5 held at an extreme angle to the crab/matrix and follow the crab's shell ;material.  that has helped quite a bit.  Oh, I know him.  Did you get to see and hang out while you were out there recently.  Hope all is well with him and family.

Yeah, everything is groovie with those folks.  My most favorite freinds in Washington.  I simply have the best times with those two!  

RB

Here is a before and after picture of this crab.  Took 15.5 hours for me to clean it up.  Most of that time was working the rock, but thats what it takes to do a really good and professional looking prep job.  Took me about 15 years to realize that.  This crab is purty beat up, but all in all, its now a purdy dang nice big crab!!   Just wish it was mine.

RB

GR-A.JPG

GR-J.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

7 minutes ago, RJB said:

its now a purdy dang nice big crab!!

You are not only the crab whisperer, you are also the master of the understatement!  It is beautiful and a 10 fold improvement from when you got it!  Nice Job! :yay-smiley-1::crab:

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

You are not only the crab whisperer, you are also the master of the understatement!  It is beautiful and a 10 fold improvement from when you got it!  Nice Job

Well dangit Walt!  With all those kudos I now have to go and spend moneys on a bigger hat!!!  :)    Thanks though. 

RB

10 minutes ago, RJB said:

Well dangit Walt!  With all those kudos I now have to go and spend moneys on a bigger hat!!!  :)    Thanks though. 

RB

You can borrow @Ptychodus04  :hearty-laugh:

@RJB, where did you learn your particular brand of black magic? Those skills don’t come naturally!!

@Walt, now I’m a hat? At least you didn’t say I was a tool. :P

10 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

@RJB, where did you learn your particular brand of black magic? Those skills don’t come naturally!!

@Walt, now I’m a hat? At least you didn’t say I was a tool. :P

I meant borrow your hat.... :doh!:

WOW!!!! I remember seeing this in person and I wouldnt belive it was the same crab amazing job. One day I would love to see you prep in person for sure. 

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@RJB how did this one turn out?

See the third post on page 2, dated September 25, 2018.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 7/1/2019 at 8:56 PM, Fossil-Hound said:

Very nice! Love it.

I'll be seeing this crab again in September.  Gunna go and visit a few fella's in Washington and aquire more rocks.  

RB

4 hours ago, RJB said:

I'll be seeing this crab again in September.  Gunna go and visit a few fella's in Washington and aquire more rocks.  

RB

@RJB :D It's a real beauty. Also when you're down there see if you can get some more Pulalius concretions (a couple for me perhaps). :envy:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

2 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

It's a real beauty. Also when you're down there see if you can get some more Pulalius concretions (a couple for me perhaps).

Thanks man.   I hate to be so brutally honest, but getting concretions from me is impossible!!!   The only concretions i let go of are the ones ive already been through and dont make the cut.   Most fossil folks have no idea just how much moneys and time is waisted in getting these things nowadays.   Moneys cause I buy most of the ones I get nowadays and time cause I have to go through them and that can take well over 100 hours!!!  Depends on how many im going through?   And as soon as I find a 'Blank' that ive payed $20 to $50 on, then that just adds to the price of the others.  Its not a cheap hobbie to say the least!   Im always lookiing for that one that will end up in the display case and those are far and few between, so for me,,, I must go through each and every one.  Plus I love to do this!!!

RB

1 minute ago, RJB said:

Thanks man.   I hate to be so brutally honest, but getting concretions from me is impossible!!!   The only concretions i let go of are the ones ive already been through and dont make the cut.   Most fossil folks have no idea just how much moneys and time is waisted in getting these things nowadays.   Moneys cause I buy most of the ones I get nowadays and time cause I have to go through them and that can take well over 100 hours!!!  Depends on how many im going through?   And as soon as I find a 'Blank' that ive payed $20 to $50 on, then that just adds to the price of the others.  Its not a cheap hobbie to say the least!   Im always lookiing for that one that will end up in the display case and those are far and few between, so for me,,, I must go through each and every one.  Plus I love to do this!!!

RB

No I totally understand. Good concretions are getting harder and harder to obtain (I'm learning from experience here) and I'm also learning as you know just how much time it takes to figure out if the concretion you have is worth working on. Needle in a hay stack my friend. B)

• I found this Informative 2

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda