Show Us Your Hash Plates

Guest Smilodon

I am guessing this would qualify as a Hash-Plate. It is a "Gob" of Belemnite from the Black Hills of South Dakota. I did not personally find it but I like it a lot.

FYI, we found many similar belemnites from the Redwater Shale member of the Sundance Formation near Sturgis, SD. Yours are probably from the same unit.

Context is critical.

FYI, we found many similar belemnites from the Redwater Shale member of the Sundance Formation near Sturgis, SD. Yours are probably from the same unit.

I would love to see pictures of them some time if you don't mind. Thanks for the info.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

I would love to see pictures of them some time if you don't mind. Thanks for the info.

They're not much to look at, but here they are:

post-6808-0-85756900-1329176966_thumb.jpg

Context is critical.

Here are a couple of hash plates from the Cranbrook, BC area. one is a small plate that I have to clean up a bit but has a number of mixed parts and complete labiostria westropi. Other is a large plate of mostly olenellus cephalons, but a few wanneria mixed in for good measure.

Chris N

post-2650-0-95495800-1329596301_thumb.jpg

post-2650-0-92751900-1329596304_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

• 4 months later...

Hash plate with a mix of bryozoa and ocean floor goodies. It is really this yellow color.

Found after the quarry blasted.

Assuming Eocene.

post-7899-0-55852600-1341081315_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

• 2 months later...

Lower Wea Shale, Pennsylvanian

Excelsior Springs, Missouri

post-6808-0-92262000-1348912134_thumb.jpg

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Nice baby brachs on there Missourian. Are those casts left of larger brachs that have weathered?

The clasts are enigmatic. They appear to be concretions, but yet they are contained within the dense hash. Perhaps they formed in the adjacent shale, and were pushed into the still-soft limestone sediment during compaction.

They could also be burrowing, but I wouldn't expect the concentric structure.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Here are some of mine. Three blocks of Triassic/Upper Carnian/probably Lower Tuvalian Ammonoid hash. Found in spring this year.

Nice! Are those from that day together ?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Beyrichenkalk with Beyrichia sp. and brachiopods?, Polish Baltic Coast, (Silurian)

11.jpg

Plate with seed ferns, Upper Silesian Coal Basin (Carboniferous)

01.jpg

Muschelkalk whith Coenothyris vulgaris, Strzelce Opolskie, Silesia region (Triassic)

WAPIE_%257E4.JPG

Crinoidenkalk with Dadocrinius sp. and gastropods, Gogolin Beds (Triassic)

g8.jpg

Fossil fauna in siderite, gastropoda Cryptaulax sp. and Spiniloma sp., bivalvia Pressastrate sp., and Neocrassina sp., scaphopoda, crinoidea, asteroidea, serpulidea, belemnites and bryzoa, Czestochowa Upland, (Jurassic)

47.jpg

Edited by paleostone
  • Enjoyed 1

Nice! Are those from that day together ?

Hi Roger!

No they aren't. These are from another Tuvalian location. This was the material in the boxes, you have seen downstairs in front of the door to my prep room.

I hope you are well!

Nice regards

Andreas

Beyrichenkalk with Beyrichia sp. and brachiopods?, Polish Baltic Coast, (Silurian)

11.jpg

Those ostracods are really cool. I would be happy to find just one. A whole plate of them is fantastic.

Context is critical.

Those ostracods are really cool.

My seven year son called them "Gumisie" (gummy bears). Some of them are similar to Haribo bears :D

That Silurian one is killer. Really nice brachiopods on that one ... Do you know how early Triassic that 3rd plate is?

Thank you for the compliments ... Does anyone recognize these briachiopods ?

I have another specimen of a different color :

beyr2.jpg

Muschelkalk with brachiopods from third photo, belongs to Middle Triassic, about 230-240 million years ago.

Greatings ...

Edited by paleostone

Cool thread. Do any of you coat your plates with something to make the fossils stand out. Floor wax, maybe?

Picked this up in central Texas.

post-5020-0-17055700-1349193234_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Middle Creek Limestone, Pennsylvanian

Jackson County, Missouri

post-6808-0-21057800-1364545671_thumb.jpg

The Derbyia brachiopod in the lower center is 16 mm wide.

This slab has by far the most diverse assemblage I've ever seen in the Middle Creek. The large number of mollusks clustered together is unusual. Normally, there is one or two, if any.

Context is critical.

Not a plate , but a ball.

From a very little site which had its time of fame ( samples are in Lamarck collection..).

Took me a lot of time to realize it was sitting practically in my garden .

From the aalenian :

post-9611-0-09164100-1364588942_thumb.jpg

post-9611-0-56384900-1364588969_thumb.jpg

post-9611-0-52560100-1364588986_thumb.jpg

post-9611-0-69485800-1364589005_thumb.jpg

Mix of Leioceras, gastropodes, trigonias....

Interesting for me is the high number of ammonitellas in this block( see details).

I will find the time someday to prepp it....

Edited by taj

• 2 months later...

I figured I'd resurrect an old thread with a modest offering....

Hash block

Westerville Limestone, Pennsylvanian

Kansas City metro

post-6808-0-24311700-1370758759_thumb.jpg

This limestone is a grainstone, which is made up of fossil debris that had been swept clean of finer particles. It formed on a shoal in very shallow water. The fossil grains are wave-worn and include algae, bryozoans, mollusks, ostracods and trilobites, among other things. Beautiful specimens of larger fossils -- most notably cephalopods and trilobites -- can be found in a few places, but I didn't spot any in the wall. The voids between the grains later filled with sparry calcite. This makes the rock quite resistant to breaking and weathering. That is why they used it in the patio wall on the backside of my workplace, where I snapped this photo. The little red things are spider mites. Those things seem to be everywhere.

Context is critical.