Anyone know what this is?

D.R. Johnson

Hi. Can anyone help me identify what this is? (if anything) I'm unsure of what rock it is but it was found on the Jurassic Coast of England. I believe I can see some encrusted shells on it but it has a strange undulating form on the top and an almost fibrous appearance on its opposite side. I've heard different opinions on what it is. I've been told that it may be a shoulder bone possibly from an ichthyosaur or it may just be a section with preserved sand ripples from the sea bed. I was hoping someone could give me a more definitive answer. EDIT - My last photos were too blurry so I've added some better ones.  

IMG_8745.JPG

IMG_8744.JPG

Edited by D.R. Johnson
Poor quality photos.

We would need clearer pics with better lighting and angles. These are a bit too out of focus to really see anything.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

19 minutes ago, daves64 said:

We would need clearer pics with better lighting and angles. These are a bit too out of focus to really see anything.

Okay, understood. I'll try to get some better pictures.

Photos outdoors with the great (free) light source of the sun usually make for good clear photos. It is always difficult to make an ID only from photos without having a specimen in hand but the better the photos the better we can be at discerning what it might be.

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Jurassic Coast is high on my fossil bucket list. :)

2 hours ago, digit said:

Photos outdoors with the great (free) light source of the sun usually make for good clear photos. It is always difficult to make an ID only from photos without having a specimen in hand but the better the photos the better we can be at discerning what it might be.

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Jurassic Coast is high on my fossil bucket list. :)

Thanks Ken. I've tried to take some better photos. Unfortunately the British Skies aren't offering much light at all today but I think these photos look a lot clearer. Anywhere but the Jurassic Coast is on my bucket list. Never hunted anywhere else.

Sounds like a combination of "Familiarity breeds contempt" and "the grass is always greener" to me. :) I'll trade you a day on the Peace River for a day collecting the Jurassic Coast. ;)

Looking forward to clearer photos when you are able.

Cheers.

-Ken

8 minutes ago, digit said:

Sounds like a combination of "Familiarity breeds contempt" and "the grass is always greener" to me. :) I'll trade you a day on the Peace River for a day collecting the Jurassic Coast. ;)

Looking forward to clearer photos when you are able.

Cheers.

-Ken

Deal! I'd love to. Yeah I've posted the new photos at the top of this thread. . . I hope they're clearer for you?

Hmm. Interesting. Not familiar with fossil finds from this area but hopefully those who are may recognize this.

Cheers.

-Ken

33 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I'll take a stab with ammonite shell.

Like a section of ammonite? I'd never thought of that. Just to be clear it's 5" long by 3.5" wide. Here is a picture of the opposite side if that helps? It's he side I described as fibrous.IMG_8746.thumb.JPG.0208d08326f499cfe15b9801512c0934.JPG

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

Fragment of a large shell is what I'm thinking.

Yeah, I can see what you're saying. That's the third different theory I've heard. Do you agree it's a fossil? Not just a strange rock formation?

Just now, D.R. Johnson said:

Do you agree it's a fossil? Not just a strange rock formation?

I'm not an expert just a museum goer, but I think fossil.

IMG_3382a.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I'm not an expert just a museum goer, but I think fossil.

IMG_3382a.jpg

Ok thank you for the info. That's a very pretty ammonite. Your own photo?

24 minutes ago, D.R. Johnson said:

Your own photo?

Yes. The piece is in the American Museum of Natural History, in New York.

2 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Yes. The piece is in the American Museum of Natural History, in New York.

Wow. I'd love to see that in person. They've got nothing like that in the Natural History Museum in London.

3 minutes ago, D.R. Johnson said:

Anyone?

Do to the poor quality of preservation I do not think much more can be said.

Some fossils are just to beat up to tell what they were.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.