Unknown Bone Fragment, Peace River Formation, Bone Valley Member

alej9582

Hi Guys,

I was looking at this bone fragment and didn't thought much of it until I notice it's symmetry. Not only that but as per the picture below it has two protrusions (exact same shape and size on each side. Looks like teeth (or some kind of horn?) was present at some point. Let me know your thoughts.

Alex

F90.jpg

F91.jpg

F92.jpg

This seems to be a well tumbled piece as the smooth outer surface of the bone is gone and the spongy cancellous material looks to be exposed. Any time you see symmetry in a bone like that I'd think something along the midline of the body like a vertebra. Can't say that this piece rings any bells but it does appear to be well worn so it may be tricky. Good eye on spotting the symmetry.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

It's shape is similar to that of a hoof core with the "points" worn or broken off.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

One of my first posts on here, if not THE first was of a tooth I had found. Turned out to be a hoof core of a mule deer. But it DID look a lot like a sharks tooth to me at the time. :doh!: Your's might not be. Someone will figure it out. :)

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

• 2 weeks later...

The shape looks triangular and I thought baby alligator head? The dark circular spots could be the eye sockets? Here's a photo.

gatorheads.thumb.jpg.84512a23323f20f6388433eca8040d2f.jpg

Nope. Fish.

These are (I believe) what are known as Sea Robin rostrums (snouts). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but some internet searches for "fossil sea robin" should turn up some images to compare.

Cheers.

-Ken

This is hard bone, does not fit in size nor shape to the alligator heads (which I believe to be Gar Head Plates or maybe sea robin). Thanks for the help though guys! Look at the alligator gar from below, similar to those in the picture: 

lepnet-gdf-2-3a.png

Surprisingly difficult to find examples of modern sea robin skull pieces online (but possible with a bit of looking). This odd image is a piece of "bone" art from an artist who is a bit infatuated with the structure of what lies within. Similar patterning to what's on the fossils in question but I do admit that they also are convincing matches to the gar photo above. There are certainly a lot of gar fossils that get turned up in Florida (though mainly ganoid scales and some fine needle teeth in micro-matrix).

So definitely fish heads and not gator heads (though possibly Alligator Gar fish heads). :)

Cheers.

-Ken

img-0230.jpg

On 9/20/2018 at 7:05 PM, Bronzviking said:

The shape looks triangular and I thought baby alligator head? The dark circular spots could be the eye sockets? Here's a photo.

gatorheads.thumb.jpg.84512a23323f20f6388433eca8040d2f.jpg

Yep those are sea robin skull fragments. Find those constantly.