large chert nodule

daves64

I'm currently working with a monster nodule. 14.5 inches around. Had some chipping at the bottom with a small amount on one side. After several freeze/thaws the whole lower section is now exposed from chipping & flaking with the smaller area on the side enlarged as well. Nice off white, almost powdery exterior with a med dark brown interior. I'm hoping there's at least something in it and that the something is larger than a pea. Nodule has this tiny, curious almost nipple like area on top. Anyone have any experience with one this size? Am I possibly wasting my time? There are several hairline cracks showing here & there in the white exterior so far. My biggest problems are that I don't really know how long I should be soaking it, or freezing it or if it needs to be submerged in water while freezing. And of course, if I'm going to make it the whole way or end up whacking it with a hammer. Any helpful suggestions would be nice. :)

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

5 minutes ago, daves64 said:

So hammer time? 

You've got nothing to lose. Just be sure to wear eye protection... and clean under garments.

Signed, your mother

Freeze thow does not work for chert.

The only way to get them open is breaking (or cutting).

Also not likely to find any fossils, but once in a while.....

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

So I'm liable to end up with about 6 pounds of chert shards.. all over the place. Sounds fun! :muahaha:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

2 hours ago, daves64 said:

So I'm liable to end up with about 6 pounds of chert shards.. all over the place. Sounds fun! :muahaha:

Well, look at it this way. Once you've smashed it to smithereens, maybe some of the bits might look like artifacts :P

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Well, look at it this way. Once you've smashed it to smithereens, maybe some of the bits might look like artifacts :P

Ask around, there are lots of knappers out there that might really like having a big piece of chert to work with.

In fact, I have some chert. Some with nice color variations if anyone is interested in having some. I won't use it.

Archived