gigantoraptor

Hello all,

I got these two bones a couple of years ago. The biggest (first) one is 24 cm in lenght, the other one is 13 cm. I think the first one is from a crocodile?

They are both repaired but not composited. I want to use them in my essay for school so I would really like to know what they are.

Croc humerus 1.jpg

Croc humerus 2.jpg

Croc humerus 3.jpg

Croc humerus.jpg

Kem Kem bone 1.jpg

Kem Kem bone 2.jpg

Kem Kem bone 3.jpg

Kem Kem bone.jpg

Out of curiosity, what is that yellow/ mustard colored stuff on the bones. The Sandy matrix they are coming out of is red is it not?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The yellow looking part is something they repair the bones with. They come originelly from red sandstone indeed. 

40 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Out of curiosity, what is that yellow/ mustard colored stuff on the bones. The Sandy matrix they are coming out of is red is it not?

I like this description. I think I'm gonna use that in the future. :ighappy:

But yeah, those are repairs.

The first larger bone looks a bit suspicious. I can't see any area where the real bone meets so that it would be clear that the two halves fit together. It does look quite suspicious.

But suppose it's just a repair, then that's definitely a right humerus bone. Looks like it could be croc yea.

The second bone looks like it was indeed only repaired a bit. A finger bone possibly?

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

If they just used glue it would look a lot nicer. Still pretty epic bones though!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I have posted this before but different layers of the kem kem beds contain different colors of matrix along with different matrix for example in the ifezouane its common to have a fine light colored sand with odds of conglomerates where as the aoufous has sandstone and lots of clay mixed in, dont get me wrong the matrix has been used to cover up what they deem to be not attractive to buyers, this could range anywhere from the bone being deformed or having a pathology, to gap and crack filling, to hiding scratches all the way to blending a composite.

On 12-9-2018 at 8:41 PM, LordTrilobite said:

I like this description. I think I'm gonna use that in the future. :ighappy:

But yeah, those are repairs.

The first larger bone looks a bit suspicious. I can't see any area where the real bone meets so that it would be clear that the two halves fit together. It does look quite suspicious.

But suppose it's just a repair, then that's definitely a right humerus bone. Looks like it could be croc yea.

The second bone looks like it was indeed only repaired a bit. A finger bone possibly?

Thank you. Yes, first one might be a composite after all. I tought the two parts belonged together because in size and diameter they seem to match quite well at the place where it was repaired. 

For the second one: Could it be a Dromaeosaurid Humerus? I looks a lot like yours in your gallery (but less nice quality). Could it be or doesn't it seems to fit according to you?

16 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

If they just used glue it would look a lot nicer. Still pretty epic bones though!

I agree

11 hours ago, Haravex said:

I have posted this before but different layers of the kem kem beds contain different colors of matrix along with different matrix for example in the ifezouane its common to have a fine light colored sand with odds of conglomerates where as the aoufous has sandstone and lots of clay mixed in, dont get me wrong the matrix has been used to cover up what they deem to be not attractive to buyers, this could range anywhere from the bone being deformed or having a pathology, to gap and crack filling, to hiding scratches all the way to blending a composite.

Interesting, thank you. Can I use this in my school essay?

1 hour ago, gigantoraptor said:

For the second one: Could it be a Dromaeosaurid Humerus? I looks a lot like yours in your gallery (but less nice quality). Could it be or doesn't it seems to fit according to you?

I can't tell from these photos. Perhaps you could try to clean it a bit. Removing some of the excess mustard might help with ID.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite