Lovely ichthyosaur vertebrae

LiamL

Yesterday when i was walking back from an unsuccessful collecting tip i spotted this beauty laying half buried on a beach near Whitby!

5b995544e41eb_Photo12-09-201870007pm.thumb.jpg.ff9f68efcbfee385c60cfe86dc54adea.jpg

Before this point i'd only found one icthyosaur vert, and it was very worn, and half broken.  So i'm extremely happy with the preservation on this one!5b99557b81071_Photo12-09-201870045pm.thumb.jpg.8c5e5d2d6b6d7c05ed90db1eb4fc79a5.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Also today i hit my hand finger with my chisel while opening a nodule, hence the plaster. Ouch

5b9955ec2ff11_Photo12-09-201865039pm.thumb.jpg.79a90aef48f40605132b2c04a4f3083d.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

I guess it wasn't unsuccessful after all!

Nope, i walked back with a big smile on my face. Unfortunately today i walked back with a bleeding finger. :ighappy:

33 minutes ago, LiamL said:

Nope, i walked back with a big smile on my face. Unfortunately today i walked back with a bleeding finger. :ighappy:

No pain, no gain!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, LiamL said:

Also today i hit my hand finger with my chisel while opening a nodule, hence the plaster. Ouch

5b9955ec2ff11_Photo12-09-201865039pm.thumb.jpg.79a90aef48f40605132b2c04a4f3083d.jpg

Great find.  Early in my fossil collecting (1988), I went to the Tucson show for the first time and saw ichthyosaur vertebrae for sale.  I knew the distinctive shape and it was great to see one in person.  I had to buy one and still have it.  Yours would be a nice display piece too.

Yeah, last year, I hit my left forefinger with the hammer and the pinkie got pinched by the plastic guard because I lost focus and didn't hold it right.  It ripped the pad but didn't bleed much.  I had disinfectant wipes and band-aids so I could keep splitting shale right after that.  It healed quick too.

2 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Great find.  Early in my fossil collecting (1988), I went to the Tucson show for the first time and saw ichthyosaur vertebrae for sale.  I knew the distinctive shape and it was great to see one in person.  I had to buy one and still have it.  Yours would be a nice display piece too.

Yeah, last year, I hit my left forefinger with the hammer and the pinkie got pinched by the plastic guard because I lost focus and didn't hold it right.  It ripped the pad but didn't bleed much.  I had disinfectant wipes and band-aids so I could keep splitting shale right after that.  It healed quick too.

I look for bone bits mostly! Ichthyosaur is my favorite. I've got 2 nice pieces being prepped right now so i'm looking forward to showing them!

Wow congrats again :) Do you have a picture of the stone with the three verts?

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif