AustraliaFossils

Broken woolly Rhino skull, Need Help!!!

AustraliaFossils

Hi guys, Recently I ordered a partial wooly rhino skull and as you could imagine I was on the brink of tears when it arrived. I ordered from overseas and someone must have dropped the box or something? but I am contacting the seller to see if I could get a partial refund (but I have my doubts). So I am trying to be positive and make this my "not so little" prep project, there is one problem though. I have no idea what I'm doing! (I don't even know if It's salvageable) So this is where you amazing people come in. I would love to get this looking as original as possible and was wondering if there was a product for that, or if I could just use household items, Or maybe there's some other solution that is foreign to me? Anyway, I would love to here every idea and any advice you've got. I have taken some pictures that are listed below, the last two are it in the condition before it was sent. If you need any more pictures to refer to, Please! contact me otherwise thanks for taking the time to read this and hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks so much, Ryan.

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

LiamL

Wow Ryan, that's my worst nightmare! Are the packages not insured against breakages? It looks like the postal company caused it.

I'd send it off to a professional to rebuild it because i suck at prep work. Maybe some other members can give you prep advice. I bet you were horrified when you opened the box you'd been eagerly awaiting. 

Ludwigia

If I were you, I'd try my very best to get my entire investment refunded. It's really a pity that it was mishandled and probably also not packed securely enough. Even if you can find someone to put it back together for you, it would probably cost you an arm and a leg to get that done satisfactorily by the looks of the condition that it's now in.

jpenn

I was watching this skull and very close to buying it myself (the price was VERY favorable), so it hurts to see what happened to it.  I have no advice but I hope you find some way to salvage it to some presentable shape.

If it broke on the way to Australia it probably would have ended up even more smashed getting all the way to me in Pennsylvania.

AustraliaFossils
55 minutes ago, jpenn said:

I was watching this skull and very close to buying it myself (the price was VERY favorable), so it hurts to see what happened to it.  I have no advice but I hope you find some way to salvage it to some presentable shape.

If it broke on the way to Australia it probably would have ended up even more smashed getting all the way to me in Pennsylvania.

Yeah, you're probably right I'd say that it was dropped on it's way to Australia as it didn't have anything to signal how heavy or fragile it was until Australia post put a sticker on it, Thanks for your reply and best wishes.

AustraliaFossils
3 hours ago, LiamL said:

Wow Ryan, that's my worst nightmare! Are the packages not insured against breakages? It looks like the postal company caused it.

I'd send it off to a professional to rebuild it because i suck at prep work. Maybe some other members can give you prep advice. I bet you were horrified when you opened the box you'd been eagerly awaiting. 

Hi Liam, Sadly this wasn't insured so the postal companies wouldn't accept fault, and yes I was horrified when I opened the package, I kept on thinking back to when I picked it up at the post office Thinking that I may have caused it. I guess all I can do now is be positive and think about it as prep experience as buying the materials to prep it myself would be cheaper than hiring someone to fix it. I will still keep the idea in the back of my head though.

Thanks

Bobby Rico

Did you pay with paypal. if so I would try for a full refund and send it back . Don’t do anything until you have sorted out a refund . As @Ludwigia said it was not packed probably or adequate  for a fragile and valuable specimen.  Cheers Bobby 

caldigger

I usually buy a bottle of "Rhino Restore" from the local market. 

Ya, I know bad joke!

I would try the Ebay refund before you try anything. Was the box damaged at all? You will likely need pictures of the shipping box for proof of mishandling.

I feel for you!   I too have had a Rhino fossil smashed. At least yours has pieces that can be puzzled back together. Mine was smashed to powder and crumbs with no hope of recovery what-so-ever.

AustraliaFossils
1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I usually buy a bottle of "Rhino Restore" from the local market. 

Ya, I know bad joke!

I would try the Ebay refund before you try anything. Was the box damaged at all? You will likely need pictures of the shipping box for proof of mishandling.

I feel for you!   I too have had a Rhino fossil smashed. At least yours has pieces that can be puzzled back together. Mine was smashed to powder and crumbs with no hope of recovery what-so-ever.

Ha!, If only it were that easy (It would defiently sell) and no the box was in perfect shape and everything seemed in check before i started cutting the plastic off. So I looks like it was dropped flat when someone tried to handle it on their own. So that means i would have no "proof" of a mishandling which is frustrating. But it seems mine got off easy compared to yours.

SULLY

Unfortunately been through this scenario. I’m with you. Use it as your first experience in preparation and reconstruction. It would be one thing if it was a partial maxilla from a Rex or an Allosaurus. But I would just do your research, take your time, purchase the correct supplies, and have some patience. It will all work out in the end.

caldigger

...and take your time, gluing one piece at a time. Much less chance of misaligned pieces and you can fill in voids much easier that way. 

Good luck with it.

If it's not too much trouble, can you photograph your progress as you go?

I think this would make for a good tutorial/ photo journal for assembling skull fragments.

KimTexan

I am no pro, but my first choice of glue would be a thin prep of cyanoacrylate. It sets in 10 secs give or take. It is strong. Just be careful to not glue your fingers.

I bought this from Amazon.

Bob Smith Industries INSTA-CURE Super... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014RXHMH4?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

You will need a top with a fine tipped application spout on it. The same company sells those too.

This Apoxie stuff is amazing! The color doesn’t match fossils, but you can sculpt in missing pieces or fill holls that can the be sanded and painted. It’s incredibly easy to use. It bonded parts together where glue wouldn’t work.

Apoxie Sculpt 1 lb. Natural, 2 part... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V58DS0?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Such an enormous disappointment. I’m sorry that happened to you.

Bobby Rico

Sorry to be a pain but if you payed with paypal or you purchased it from eBay you can contact the seller and ask for your money back  if you are not happy with the sellers help you can ask eBay or paypal to step in.  Photograph the packaging and item describe how the packaging was not adequate. You don’t have to except this damaged  fossil. If the box was not badly damaged it is clear to me that the fossil was not packed probably so that is the sellers fault not yours or the delivery companies. I have alway found eBay and paypal very helpful in this matters.

Sorry for ranting at you but damaged fossil though sellers stupidity makes me very sad.  Also I am not very well and on strong painkillers so a little stressed. Good luck anyway 

RJB

So sorry your having to go this.  I can easily see the fossil was not properly packed.   I wish the best and hope this gets resolve,,, or repaired.  Good luck

RB

AustraliaFossils
9 hours ago, caldigger said:

...and take your time, gluing one piece at a time. Much less chance of misaligned pieces and you can fill in voids much easier that way. 

Good luck with it.

If it's not too much trouble, can you photograph your progress as you go?

I think this would make for a good tutorial/ photo journal for assembling skull fragments.

Sure I can photograph each step as I go. I have tried prepping other fossils such as fossil Echinoids and small vertebrae before but nothing on this scale. Before I start I may have to get some new tools and glue etc, So this might take me a few weeks but I will keep you posted.

AustraliaFossils
2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Sorry to be a pain but if you payed with paypal or you purchased it from eBay you can contact the seller and ask for your money back  if you are not happy with the sellers help you can ask eBay or paypal to step in.  Photograph the packaging and item describe how the packaging was not adequate. You don’t have to except this damaged  fossil. If the box was not badly damaged it is clear to me that the fossil was not packed probably so that is the sellers fault not yours or the delivery companies. I have alway found eBay and paypal very helpful in this matters.

Sorry for ranting at you but damaged fossil though sellers stupidity makes me very sad.  Also I am not very well and on strong painkillers so a little stressed. Good luck anyway 

Thank you so much for your concern and help but I think I am going to look at this positively (as much as it hurts). So I have decided to use this as an opportunity to expand my knowledge and skillset around prepping and displaying fossils. I will also be posting pictures of my progress if you would like to see how it turns out. and don't apologize for ranting, it's people like you who get things done.

Thanks and I hope you feel better soon.

AustraliaFossils
1 hour ago, RJB said:

So sorry your having to go this.  I can easily see the fossil was not properly packed.   I wish the best and hope this gets resolve,,, or repaired.  Good luck

RB

Thanks, Got any more luck I can borrow. (I might need it)

AustraliaFossils
9 hours ago, KimTexan said:

I am no pro, but my first choice of glue would be a thin prep of cyanoacrylate. It sets in 10 secs give or take. It is strong. Just be careful to not glue your fingers.

I bought this from Amazon.

Bob Smith Industries INSTA-CURE Super... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014RXHMH4?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

You will need a top with a fine tipped application spout on it. The same company sells those too.

This Apoxie stuff is amazing! The color doesn’t match fossils, but you can sculpt in missing pieces or fill holls that can the be sanded and painted. It’s incredibly easy to use. It bonded parts together where glue wouldn’t work.

Apoxie Sculpt 1 lb. Natural, 2 part... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V58DS0?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Such an enormous disappointment. I’m sorry that happened to you.

Thank you so much, I will definitely look into these products more. They look like they will do the job and even better, they are affordable "Yay!".

AustraliaFossils
10 hours ago, SULLY said:

Unfortunately been through this scenario. I’m with you. Use it as your first experience in preparation and reconstruction. It would be one thing if it was a partial maxilla from a Rex or an Allosaurus. But I would just do your research, take your time, purchase the correct supplies, and have some patience. It will all work out in the end.

Thank you for your reassurance, I guess your right it could have been a lot worse, But I will try my best to Reconstruct it. I have already collected up all the loose bones and put them in a plastic bag so I don't lose them.

SULLY

I have done the same thing with a large femur bone. When they delivered it I was like a little kid in a candy store. Then I picked it up and I knew then that it wasn't going to be good and I wanted to cry. They snapped it in half and broke off some of each end. To say I was ##### off and upset would be an understatement! But luckily all the pieces were wrapped up with the specimen, so when I have the time someday, I can start the process of putting it all back together again

Ludwigia

@AustraliaFossils Good luck to you then.

AustraliaFossils
On 9/13/2018 at 7:04 AM, Ludwigia said:

If I were you, I'd try my very best to get my entire investment refunded. It's really a pity that it was mishandled and probably also not packed securely enough. Even if you can find someone to put it back together for you, it would probably cost you an arm and a leg to get that done satisfactorily by the looks of the condition that it's now in.

The Seller I bought this from was very understanding and is going to give me a half refund Which should be more than enough to buy the materials I need to repair it.

Ludwigia
5 hours ago, AustraliaFossils said:

The Seller I bought this from was very understanding and is going to give me a half refund Which should be more than enough to buy the materials I need to repair it.

Very good. You don't always get that kind of response.

Ptychodus04

On the Apoxie Sculpt, you can buy several different colors and mix them to form a custom color match. Oddly enough, many light browns require green and yellow mixed with brown and white to come up with the correct shade. Apoxie Sculpt is also paintable. It is worked exactly like natural clay until it sets, then it can be sanded.

Most mammal bone has a large portion of cancellous bone that will not hold thin glue for a strong bond as there’s so much air space. For this I would typically apply thin cyanoacrylate to both sides of the joint and allow to set. Then employ a thicker cyanoacrylate to allow the glue to stay more in place on the very thin bones.

This is a terrible situation and why I typically insure fossil packages. Even the best packing can at times be thwarted by rough handling, even if there’s no obvious damage to the box. I had a $1,000 specimen ruined in shipping that I had packed securely in a wooden crate! Thankfully, I had paid the nominal fee for the insurance!

caldigger

It looks like Holdinghistory has some Paleosculpt for sale in the members sales topic. Might just be what you need.