AustraliaFossils

Broken woolly Rhino skull, Need Help!!!

AustraliaFossils
On 9/15/2018 at 3:38 AM, caldigger said:

It looks like Holdinghistory has some Paleosculpt for sale in the members sales topic. Might just be what you need.

Thanks, i'll look into that.

AustraliaFossils
On 9/14/2018 at 9:17 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

On the Apoxie Sculpt, you can buy several different colors and mix them to form a custom color match. Oddly enough, many light browns require green and yellow mixed with brown and white to come up with the correct shade. Apoxie Sculpt is also paintable. It is worked exactly like natural clay until it sets, then it can be sanded.

Most mammal bone has a large portion of cancellous bone that will not hold thin glue for a strong bond as there’s so much air space. For this I would typically apply thin cyanoacrylate to both sides of the joint and allow to set. Then employ a thicker cyanoacrylate to allow the glue to stay more in place on the very thin bones.

This is a terrible situation and why I typically insure fossil packages. Even the best packing can at times be thwarted by rough handling, even if there’s no obvious damage to the box. I had a $1,000 specimen ruined in shipping that I had packed securely in a wooden crate! Thankfully, I had paid the nominal fee for the insurance!

Thanks for the tips!, I imagine when you figured out about the package you sent annoyed would be an understatement (lucky it was insured). also how would sanding back the apoxie affect the bone?

Ptychodus04
17 hours ago, AustraliaFossils said:

Thanks for the tips!, I imagine when you figured out about the package you sent annoyed would be an understatement (lucky it was insured). also how would sanding back the apoxie affect the bone?

Horrified is more accurate of a description. :D

Sanding the epoxy won’t hurt the bone (other than getting dust on it). Just don’t sand the bone! I like to get it as close as possible with water before it sets so there’s less sanding.

KimTexan
18 hours ago, AustraliaFossils said:

The Apoxie hardens with that smooth plastic finish. Sanding can help roughen the Apoxie so it doesn’t look so plastic. You can use different grits of sandpaper to get the texture rough to the degree the bone is rough.