Vertebrae from Ramanessin Creek in Holmdel, NJ?

kushmeja

Found this 2 weeks ago in Ramanessin Creek in Holmdel, NJ. It looks like a vertebrae from a larger fish like a shark or large ray, but I'm confused by the mushroom like shape of the one side, so I'm not sure. It measures about 1.2" across and about 0.9" high. I though that maybe it was the last vertebrae before the brain stem or something like that, and therefore the mushroom end may be the side nearest the brain and have a different shape. Any help and / or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

John

20180903_143547-min.jpg

Edited by kushmeja

It is a concretion like the others said, but first cervical vertebrae due indeed have differing faces.

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

13 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

A little ironstone or haematite nodule, I think. 

I have found many of these in the brooks over the years.

• I found this Informative 1

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

I’ve found similar ones there and thought the same about it being a vert. Definitely looks like one, but I believe that it’s like the others said, just a strangely formed concretion etc.