Down South: Sites near Cantonment, FL?

MeargleSchmeargl

It's been a while.

This weekend, my mom is taking a trip to Cantonment, FL to visit my uncle. I know FL has some good spots (namely Bone Valley and Co.), but I am not very knowledgeable of what you can find in the panhandle. Does the Pleistocene/Miocene show up in Cantonment, or something else, or nothing at all?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

No clue if there are fossil localities way up there in the Panhandle. Only been up there once years ago and we weren't fossil hunting. I do know that the area near where you will be has some cool carnivorous pitcher plants (the place we went was near Eglin Air Fore Base). This page might be of use if you are looking for another activity.

https://floridahikes.com/tag/pitcher-plants

Cheers.

-Ken

Paleo shell hunting is available on any sand road in the area.  Quaternary fossils should be in any creek or spring during your trip. Watch out for snakes, gators, giant snapping turtles, any turtles for  that matter, ticks, and disease bearing mosquitos, bears, panthers, rabid raccoons.  And have fun.

Forgot to ask, interstate 65 or 10?

I usuually only go as far west as the Chipola River, but I know there are fossil areas west...more towards your area, but perhaps a bit further north in Fla. this is a "hunting" suggestion, but I'd say look in  Julia Gardner's Molluscan Fossils of the Alum Bluff Group...I know she mentions some areas west of Appilachicola Bay....Though it is an old book, she lists precisely where each fossil was found, and overall I found the information helpful in discovering areas that aren't hunted very much. You do have to be prepared for some inaccessible areas...things were much more open back when she wrote. Just a suggestion...I know most of us like to look around for new areas. Good luck. 

Alum Bluff...hmm.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Archived