Dino joint or cool beach rock?

bradw

Hi All, glad to be a new member here - I've been an avid collector of unique looking rocks and objects found on the beaches of Cape Cod and elsewhere in New England. Here's the first that I'm hoping someone out there can identify. It could just be a cool beach rock - but it always struck me as some kind of bone...(ruler is in Centimeters). Thanks for looking! -Brad

Img_2692sm.jpg

Img_2691sm.jpg

Img_2690sm.jpg

Img_2689sm.jpg

Img_2688sm.jpg

Img_2687sm.jpg

Img_2693sm.jpg

Edited by bradw

1 minute ago, bradw said:

I do kinda agree...worth a shot right?  Thx for looking at it.

Indeed! And you’re welcome. I recommend also waiting for more people, because the more opinions, the better. Plus, I’m an amateur. However, coming here has helped me a lot with ID’s, though! :D

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah, always worth a shot, and I do agree that it is most likely geologic, but there is a very slim chance that it may be a super rare,,,,,,,,,,,  Dinosaurius jointus?  :)  Sorry, again I could not help myself.  Neat lookin rock though.

RB 

Thanks RJB and Tidgy's Dad - nice to see the supported vibe in here - especially in a crazy world like we have these days...I see it's not just about posting pics of rocks ;)

To be more specific it looks like a concretion of various iron minerals and sand. We get a lot of them here on Long Island from the weathering of pyrite or marcasite. The sulfides get replaced by various oxides and their hydrated forms. According to Wikipedia there are 16 known iron oxides or oxide/hydroxides.

Thanks Sylla, that makes sense...if that's what it is (partially iron), would it definitely attract a magnet? This one does not - my son has small spherical rare earth magnets. I put one next to it and it has no interest. But it does look like iron I agree and it's very heavy.

Tony beat me to it!

Most iron oxides are not ferromagnetic due to the introduction of oxygen, with the exception of Fe3O4 (magnetite). In oxides, there is still a very small hint of iron-associated magnetic field, but it is much weaker and so will unlikely respond to a conventional magnet.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer