ID looks like straws

Srabner

Looks like limestone that is either fallen stalagtites or covered plant material such as needles. Does the rock fizz in acid? Where did you find these? Where they near a limestone cave or a limestone precipitating spring?

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Some good pictures for sure and I can see how you think 'straws'.  But what folks here are gunna need is some information like location, formation, age and anything else that is pertinent.  but for me,,, these are  Strawbolus wormburrowis.  :)  Im just kidding of course, but now im wondering when the forum dudes are going to cut me out of the picture?  

RB

Thanks for the replies. I have no information on age, location, or if they were near limestone. I don't have any acid right now.

1 hour ago, Carl said:

It reminds me of travertine covered plant material.

Agreed. 

That's what this piece from near Hot Springs, SD was identified as.

IMG_4875.JPG

5 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

Is travertine similar to tufa?

Travertine is similiar to the limestone variety of tufa. Sometimes tufa refers to a volcanic rock.

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

@Srabner Besides an acid test, try scratching it with a steel knife blade. If it cannot be scratched, the rock might be silicious which would indicate a hot spring deposit.

10 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

Is travertine similar to tufa?

It almost seems like tufa, by definition, may be more precise in this circumstance. I'm not certain there is an absolute distinction though. 

Tufa and travertine definitions vary and sometimes mean the same thing. See thing really good paper: Capezzuoli, E. et. al. (2014). "Decoding Tufa and Travertine (Freshwater Carbonates) in the Sedimentary Record: The State of the Art" Sedimentology 61, 1-21.sed.12075

• I found this Informative 2

It looks calcareous tufa, to me. Here are similar ones, from an older  topic:

DSCN5804.jpg.a252cd50c99cb09e7f590f64006c9682.jpg.89179fc5162e56790797966d8a22115c.jpg6.jpg.c178548d7da7ed1cd906ee6c17953ee1.thumb.jpg.5ebcc31c31a79c7786e6d93d0b5462b2.jpg

More details / information can be seen in this topic:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hello,

I put some vinegar on a small piece, and it quickly turned to loose dirt like particles at bottom of bowl. It is not real hard, and crumbles in the hand easily.

It sure looks like calcareous tufa.

Thank you.