Seller's Mazon IDs

Wrangellian

Can anyone tell me whether this seller has these IDs right? I figured the first one looks like an Achistrum (sea cucumber) to me. The seller has others that I have questions about too but won't post them all.

@RCFossils ?

The links towards the announcements of sale on the favorite site of bids (or the others) are forbidden...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I'm not one of the experts in this, but am very interested, have some fossils from Mazon Creek and done a bit of reading. 

The first one looks like a coprolite and the second one, though it looks a beauty and very interesting, i have never heard of that genus. 

But let's wait for the people who actually know what they're talking about. :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

@Wrangellian

Eric,

Please do not post links to Seller's websites. 

Thank you. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Sorry, I was not trying to promote the sales, I just wanted the IDs. Is it OK to take their pics and post them here?

As long as there isn't any ad copy involved.  ;) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

OK.. I'm not sure that the seller would give me permission to post his pics elsewhere if I asked him. They would be up here indefinitely, not just for the duration of the sale, right?

Here are the items in question. The first is being ID'd as a 'Nonannelid worm'. Looks like Achistrum to me.

Nonannelid worm.jpg

This one is being ID'd as Hystriciola. I have a specimen of one very similar that was labeled 'Fossundecima'. Maybe I should post mine too - I'm not sure which one is the misidentified one (if either).

Hystriciola1.jpg

Hystriciola2.jpg

I'm thinking the identifications are correct. I searched for some diagnostic features not present, but that could just be the particular specimens and they still could be correct.

10 minutes ago, fossilcrazy said:

I'm thinking the identifications are correct. I searched for some diagnostic features not present, but that could just be the particular specimens and they still could be correct.

Thanks John. Does Lascoa have an obvious bell like Essexella does? It looks like a bell there (at the bottom in the first pic). The pics I've seen of Lascoa look to me like a blob without an obvious bell, but of course I could be wrong about that too (having not seen many good pics of them).

The first specimen is a sea cucumber

The second may be Hystriciola but it would be impossible to know for sure unless the jaws are well preserved.

The third is an Essexella jellyfish

Unfortunately, the idntification of the majority of Mazon animals that are posted on auction sites are incorrect.

Hope that helps

I agree with @RCFossils and looking at the annelid worm, it probably would have been a great specimen, but looking at the concretion it appears that it was found opened and in the elements for some type, thus messing with the preservation.

13 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Thanks guys, that does help.

It's funny how some sellers are so confident of their IDs as this guy is.

Unfortunately, I have noticed several sellers over the years purposely misrepresenting the Mazon fossils they are selling. I am not saying it is the case with this particular seller however you will often times see very common animals labeled as rare/valuable types.

On many occasions, I have seen people pay hundreds of dollars for worthless pieces.

If you are thinking about purchasing what you think might be a rare item, it is best to get a second opinion.

33 minutes ago, RCFossils said:

Unfortunately, I have noticed several sellers over the years purposely misrepresenting the Mazon fossils they are selling. I am not saying it is the case with this particular seller however you will often times see very common animals labeled as rare/valuable types.

On many occasions, I have seen people pay hundreds of dollars for worthless pieces.

If you are thinking about purchasing what you think might be a rare item, it is best to get a second opinion.

That was my thinking. I'm buying a Neuropteris from him, skipping everything else!

32 minutes ago, RCFossils said:

I saw one on our favorite auction site that was a tully. The thing is, you could totally tell it was sculpted and was carved. I couldn't help but to laugh and cry as people had actually bid on it.

...I'm back.

1 hour ago, Raggedy Man said:

I saw one on our favorite auction site that was a tully. The thing is, you could totally tell it was sculpted and was carved. I couldn't help but to laugh and cry as people had actually bid on it.

Here is a sculpted Tully of mine- lol.

A5801EA6-BF2F-4203-BDE3-EB989C9AB2DD.jpeg.4d34e2514b8b1b621ba8bb52049b10a4.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Here is a sculpted Tully of mine- lol.

A5801EA6-BF2F-4203-BDE3-EB989C9AB2DD.jpeg.4d34e2514b8b1b621ba8bb52049b10a4.jpeg

Thats pretty sweet. Did you do that your self?

...I'm back.

17 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

Thats pretty sweet. Did you do that your self?

No, it was made back in 1990 for an older friend that I use to collect with.

Archived