Fossil'n'Roll

I found this listed as a Stegosaurus stenops ischium (looks like a left illium to me) found in Moffat County, Colorado. It looks mostly real to me, but definitely has some restoration in two places (marked in red) (edit: the smaller area looks like it might be only one side). Is the rest of it all real, or am I missing anything? Something about the area between the restored areas looks slightly off to me, though I lean a bit toward real on that. (edit: removed question on value) I would of course prefer something with no restoration, but Stegosaurus fossils are awfully hard to come by.

IMG_5148-2.JPG.611e6ee3bee747407c68e1a83db0e25a.JPGIMG_5144.JPG.aa17c5c352219610d1db788ad9b91504.JPGIMG_5145.JPG.d74803c567dd2241ef45e4c04bbb0084.JPGIMG_5142.JPG.aebd5cda0ed259d4d5aef6e86a8deddb.JPGIMG_5151.thumb.JPG.7be2c69e3a5798aea3c01cd1389ad02f.JPG

IMG_5150.JPG

As a rule, we really don't do valuations on fossils. We tend to shy away from the commercial and monetary side of fossils (many other websites for that) and try to stick more to the science, education, and social aspects of fossils.

Others will likely comment on what they like (or dislike) about this specimen and if they'd like to have it in their collection but we won't be giving it a monetary valuation. We usually say that if you are willing to pay the amount it is listed for, then it is worth that amount (to you, anyway). I have no idea how rare this item would be or if the price is anywhere near what it should be. If it were me, I'd probably look for something without restoration but then I have no great desire to add dinosaur pelvic pieces to my collection (unless I found it myself). ;)

If you've been looking for just such an item AND it is in your price range AND it meets your requirements for something you'd like to have on display, then make the purchase and enjoy it.

Cheers.

-Ken

A member sent me a link to some unrestored Stegosaurus bones. I think I'll most likely buy one of those instead. Still interested in what people have to say about this one, though.

Good luck on your future purchase. Feel free to post images of what you think you may buy on the forum to see if any others might note some unseen restoration or have comments on the item. Just remember that we are happy to evaluate the item but not the price.

Cheers.

-Ken

Archived