Rhabdoderma Scale ID

Northernfellsfossils

I have a fish scale from the Pennine Middle Coal Measures Formation from North Cumbria (Cumberland Coalfield), UK.

Found in the local stream, where there have only ever been 4 fish found, I have found all of them- Rhabdoderma, Rhizodopsis, Megalichthys & Platysomus. 

Attached is a photo of a scale; that I think is from Rhabdoderma.

(The width of the scale is around 5mm [width as in from across from bottom left to top right of scale] 

Does anyone have any idea about taking this identification further- perhaps down to a species level?

Thanks,

Tom

aP1090166.jpg

Welcome to the forum, @Northernfellsfossils. Sounds like you are a fish finder and good spotting for that scale.

I hope someone here will help with ID, as I cannot. Good luck.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

@Innocentx Thankyou! I'm a geology student living on the Coal Measures, and have started to get into fish fossils- I have a rather large collection of scales and plates as well as a few nice teeth. Hoping to learn some more via the forum!

If you click again on this FF picture posted, you should see your Rhabdoderma scale "fingerprint" pattern. This one is from the Linton Cannel Coal, USA.IMG_1182.JPG

Hi nice rhabdoderma scale I have some like it . I would say possibly Rhabdoderna elegans

I have attached a paper you may find useful page 12 of paper shows scales

vol24_part1_pp203-229.pdf

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

My pleasure Tom good luck in your future fossil hunting trips 

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Archived