Eggs sold online as real: What do you think?

mapo

There is a continuous discussion on whether eggs sold online from Malaysia sellers are real or fakes. There are some eggs which are clearly fakes and other which look real. I am not sure about the oviraptor eggs. I put some photos here from an egg that was recently auctioned. What do you think? Fake? Heavily restored? Real in a very good condition?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

For the same reasons I’ve posted in the threads below I’d stay away from these. I think they are likely exceptionally good fakes. 

Please remember, opinions about sellers have no place in this or other topics on TFF.  

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

My 2-cents: I have never seen an Oviraptor egg on a nice matrix pedestal that was genuine. Every single one I examined in person turned out to be fake.

I have other reasons for avoiding these kinda egg. PM me if you want clarification.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Just Wow!  if they are making fakes this good, then why take the chance and buy an egg?  I mean, these things are not cheap!

RB

39 minutes ago, RJB said:

Just Wow!  if they are making fakes this good, then why take the chance and buy an egg?  I mean, these things are not cheap!

These eggs are controversial and I think the majority of egg collectors will be 50/50 on them.  I look at this egg and the previous eggs that mapo has posted open-mindedly. I think they are likely exceptionally well done fakes but if someone who knew what they were doing took one and pulled it apart to reveal its authenticity I’d be open to change my mind appropriately. Personallly I’d stay away for now and see where the discussion of these eggs evolves to. A few years ago there were repeat discussions about a type of hadrosaur egg that was consistently showing up for sale and a member bought one and cut it open and showed us all it was fake. It’s a lot of money to gamble and there are other, less controversial but more expensive eggs out there if you are patient. 

the excavation of fossils and subsequent preparation can be recorded with a device and put online.The technology is there

In an ideal world:

no egg should be identified /designated by anything other than the usual parataxonomy,and stratigraphical and taphonomical detail should be provided

VERYREALOOLITHUS:

Oospecies fossilforumii

Presley and Wonder 1994.
Lectotype: LCA1-A; an eggshell in thin section from
La Banana
Synonymia: Type 1 of Williams et al. 1984; Group 2 of
Penner (1983, 1985).
Known distribution: Late Campanian from southern
Flavonia (from C33n.2n to C32n.2n magnetochrones.

stratum typicum: thin reddish marl layer

I think that what HamptonsDoc says makes sense-probably the best way is to get an egg pull it apart and see if it is real. The main problem with this approach however is that you have to pay the money and if it ends up being authentic, you will have a destroyed but real egg! Also, I remember the hadrosaur case you mentioned but I think the consensus was that it was a real egg to which a matrix had been attached-presumably for cosmetic reasons. In any case, if any other member has any advice for determining the authenticity of such eggs the forum members would appreciate it!

Imho it's crazy to put an egg apart, unless there is a high % of confidence that it's fake. What if you destroy a real one? There are some ways to check once you have it in hands, I would start with microscope, then checking w/ UV, test for plastic/resign, airscribing matrix, sandblasting shell, acid perhaps... Donno. Problem is the technology is getting better. I guess once the wrong people start using 3d printing, options for faking different fossils are limitless, even without real molds. Wan't a detailed Boedaspis ensifer trilobite for discount price of 5000$? Just wait till it's printed, painted and placed in real matrix... From pics - it's already getting difficult in case of these eggs. The examples above are very realistic and it's hard to guess if it's only restored and placed in matrix or if complete fake. It's scary, but in this case:

...from pics it's almost impossible to tell that this is a complete fake. I didn't have it in hand, but middle part looks restored (bad resto compared to the example in this topic) and my guess would be that a real egg with a lot of shell missing was used for the base... But a close up examination could as well show that it's actually a complete fake - mosaic egg... as Andy says. Same for the example in this topic, matrix does indeed look funny, so difficult to know, the whole thing indeed looks more plastic as Andy's example (on the second not as quick look however) and I would stay away...

21 hours ago, RJB said:

RB

There are very well done casts out there too.

I wouldn't be surprised if these were professionally made casts that are marketed as real eggs.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Ive always wanted to buy more eggs but was a afraid to take the gamble.  Now im glad I didnt pull the trigger.  Sad really the way things are becoming.

RB

Archived