Big 5 Foot Slab of Eurypterids !!!

RJB

OK, it might be against my better judgement and shipping might be a nightmare, but I'll put down a bid of $5 and hope that scares off the competition.

:fingerscrossed:

The shipping was free, right?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

(I do recall now a discussion about the quarry owner asking big bucks even tho you have to dig or split it yourself, and whether it was worth it or not.)

On 9/23/2018 at 6:19 PM, Wrangellian said:

(I do recall now a discussion about the quarry owner asking big bucks even tho you have to dig or split it yourself, and whether it was worth it or not.)

The New York Paleo Society would go to Lang's quarry every so many years. For various reasons I never went along. I heard of some great fossils being found. One stands out. A young girl found a perfect specimen. Not big, maybe 4" long but exquisite. For $150 she could keep it. That may sound like a lot to ask of a teenager but if he had sold it himself or thru a rock shop it would have started at $300 and more likely retailed at $400. 

It's all a matter of perspective.

1 hour ago, erose said:

The New York Paleo Society would go to Lang's quarry every so many years. For various reasons I never went along. I heard of some great fossils being found. One stands out. A young girl found a perfect specimen. Not big, maybe 4" long but exquisite. For $150 she could keep it. That may sound like a lot to ask of a teenager but if he had sold it himself or thru a rock shop it would have started at $300 and more likely retailed at $400. 

It's all a matter of perspective.

Did she buy it, then? I don't suppose she was informed that he would sell it for $3-400 if she didn't buy it..

23 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Did she buy it, then? I don't suppose she was informed that he would sell it for $3-400 if she didn't buy it..

Again, I wasn't actually there. I got the story second hand from another member who was. And I don't recall if she, or her family, bought it or not. This was at least a dozen years ago and I would think others present would have informed her of the "retail" value. Half price for those fossils is still three figures.  

• 1 month later...

I dont think Lang go's out and split too much any more,   but here are some more that he's found lately. 

RB

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

IMG_4876.jpg

On 30/10/2018 at 1:42 PM, RJB said:

but here are some more that he's found lately. 

RB

My, that's some insane stuff :faint: thanks for sharing

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I remember being in Lang's quarry and I looked up into the sky, It was a beautiful day, and the clouds were soooo white and the sky was sooooooo blue, it seemed so surreal!  and I came home with some beauties too.  Would love to go back but so exspensive for that trip.  

RB

Archived