Mosasaur fabrication?

bcfossilcollector

Yup, pretty much. 

It's possible bits of the jaw may be odd bits of bone, or even jaw hanging about the place, but the teeth have been planted there, the roots are cement, the bits in between the cement in the jaw maybe real, but aren't from the same specimen. 

Not even a very good fake. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

There "might" be some real dirt in there somewhere.. 

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I have seen fabrications like this use chipped and broken teeth for the crowns.  Not sure what the quality of these teeth are but if you are interested you could always try and take them out :D This way makes a neat display though.

The fabrication or at least chimera'ing of the jaw seems to be so ridiculously misdone. 

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

I suspect there's 2 main piece of jaw, and a tiny middle in the middle, plus 5 teeth composited from elsewhere.

You get the fossils of 8 different creatures in one single piece. A worthwhile deal I dare say!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

1 hour ago, -Andy- said:

I suspect there's 2 main piece of jaw, and a tiny middle in the middle, plus 5 teeth composited from elsewhere.

You get the fossils of 8 different creatures in one single piece. A worthwhile deal I dare say!

I was thinking there were 5 separate jaw pieces and 5 teeth giving 10

Yup, I agree. This is a composite. Though this one seems not as bad as some other composites. Real tooth crowns, and of decent enough condition. But some of the jaw is real as well, though likely from a different individual. The front part of the jaw bone is hard to tell what type of bone it was originally as it seems to have been altered afterwards while putting it in this composition. But the bone piece in the back with the ridge going along it looks like a part of of the inside of a lower jaw.

While it's hard to tell from just the tooth crowns in one photo, it looks like the enamel is pretty smooth and the teeth are rather robust. Which makes me think most of those teeth are likely Prognathodon sp.

If it's cheap this might be a good candidate to possibly prep out or soak in water to get all the real elements out.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite