Mosasaur tooth setting

RichUtah

Hey guys. Newb here. I picked up this mosasaur tooth at a local shop today, I’ve read through the forums about some fake settings with the jaws and whatnot but was wondering if just from the pics if anyone can tell me whether this setting with the root looks real, or did i just buy some teeth set in a fake mold. 

7944EC55-5A1C-48A6-B1A5-64AFFF5E9455.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!

Actually, it's pronounced Mosasaur rather than Monosaur.

Unfortunately, I believe that you got a fake. I'm not sure what the "root" actually is, but the big pink section between the crown and "root" is clearly plaster. The crown itself may be real, but in this case the rooted portion has been faked.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

29 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Welcome to the forum!

Actually, it's pronounced Mosasaur rather than Monosaur.

Unless it is all alone! :rofl:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The crown on the left is real, the one on the right looks like a tip added to another bit of tooth. 

The middle sections are plaster/ cement and the roots just carved from the matrix, I think. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Mosasaur tooth setting

Hello and welcome to the Forum. I hope you will find it to be useful and fun. Unfortunately, as you have discovered, folks in Morocco have a booming industry in cobbling together "enhanced" pieces. The fantasy jaws and ersatz individual teeth are produced by the thousands. The teeth (crowns), like sharks teeth, are common fossils; while jaws/rooted teeth - not so much. You should not feel too bad about your purchase; since the shams are produced by the thousands, obviously they are purchased in great numbers. You are a member of a large club!

Years ago I deconstructed such a "tooth" with a garden hose. The consolidated matrix easily washed away, leaving a gleaming white portion of plaster root, that had been buried. The previously exposed portion had been stained a creamy tan color. Obviously done after the tooth was set in the matrix, missing the bright white portion. 

So, take pride in the fact that the genuine crowns you own once graced the awesome jaws of a ferocious, gigantic predator. Amazing.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of knowledge on the forum and how willingly it is shared with others

Bit of a bummer on the rest, but as others said it is still some incredible crowns from an incredible creature displayed in a beautiful way