Washoi

Fossil Hunting in Japan

Washoi

Hello all,

I've noticed that on occasion people stop by and ask about fossil hunting in Japan.

Although I don't have much around me, this map is a fantastic way to see the general age of the rocks around/ near you. I think it's a great resource so please check it out.. Plus it's really interesting in general.

https://gbank.gsj.jp/geonavi/geonavi.php#12,34.98798,136.93432

If you turn on the "seamless legend" option you can find on the top left of the map border, it will show you the age and type of rock that you have clicked on. 

I hope it helps some people.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place, please inform me if there is an issue admin)

Wrangellian

Brilliant. Wish we had an interactive map like this for my part of the world!

However, I click on one color and it says Santonian... click on the same color in another spot and it says Priabonian. Then I click on another spot the same color as the Priabonian, and it says Santonian. No sense!

David in Japan

Hi Washoi, 

it is nice to meet some new member from Japan. 

What kind of nice formation and fossils can you find around your place?

Washoi

Hello David, 

Unfortunately there is not alot around me. I haven't found any fossils yet! I'm originally from the UK and used to hunt a lot there with my dad around Charmouth and Lyme, in the Blue Lais.

There is a fossil formation near me in mizunami city. But it's mainly Eocene and I will hopefully go there soon. Japan doesn't seem to offer much around me.