Haida Gwaii fossil clam

JustPlainPetrified

I found this piece of clam in some pretty hard matrix along the beach below the tourist information building last year around this time while visiting Haida Gwaii. I've only just worked away most of the matrix. The inside was softer sand/clay which ground out quickly with my Dremel but had to use the diamond cutter to work off a lot of the matrix covering the outside. You can see in the photos that only a few of the 'fingers' survived fossilization. As this was on the beach I am not sure how old it could be, maybe Jurassic or as old as Triassic? Need help. 

20180916_104302.jpg

Looks more like a partial ammonite whorl to me. That area has upper Jurassic as well as lower to middle Cretaceous deposits.

Reminds me of Douvilleiceras?

Cephalopods rule!!

Pretty certain it is one side of a bivalve as the hinge point seems to be in place. The underside/inside of this piece shows no indications of chambers and no distinctive suture lines. I've collected quite a few ammonites; none however from Haida Gwaii, so it certainly is a possibility I won't discount. Thanks!

Well that's definitely closer, but the ribs of the shell are as thick as my small finger. If you were to make a loose fist your curled fingers would be very much like what I have.

20180916_104343.jpg

• 1 year later...

Even able to expose a bit more of this fossil as I had nothing left to work on during this Covid pandemic.

20200515_190300.jpg

20200515_190235.jpg

Love the colours on this!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."