Drum fish mouth plate, gator osteoderm, or turtle? Jacksonville, Florida

Cthulhu2

It doesn't look like turtle to me, it's certainly not drum fish, so i'll also say crocodile. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

17 hours ago, jpc said:

Croc.  the back side is not smooth, suggesting this is not a scute but a piece of skull.  

Now how do we know it's croc and not gator?

The impression I have is that 'gators always vastly outnumbered crocodiles in Florida.   Its a reasonable assumption that a crocodilian fossil is from a 'gator, until demonstrated otherwise.  It is just laziness to say "croc" when what is meant is "crocodilian," but many of us do it.  If 'hu2 will bring us more of the skull, we can distinguish between 'gator and  crocodile for him.  I'm pretty confident that this fragment is from a 'gator skull.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

17 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

The impression I have is that 'gators always vastly outnumbered crocodiles in Florida.   Its a reasonable assumption that a crocodilian fossil is from a 'gator, until demonstrated otherwise.  It is just laziness to say "croc" when what is meant is "crocodilian," but many of us do it.  If 'hu2 will bring us more of the skull, we can distinguish between 'gator and  crocodile for him.  I'm pretty confident that this fragment is from a 'gator skull.

I wish I had more but this chunk is all I got. Since I find gator osteoderms often, I'll say this is most likely gator from what you're saying. I appreciate the response :)