Fossils in the mail

LiamL

So i sent 2 of my finds off for prep and have recieved them back now.

looks like the delivery man has just thrown them over my 6 Foot gates despite there being FRAGILE stickers all over the box.

I’m hoping they have jumped over the gates and placed it down, but who knows.

theres no damage to the pieces but it could have been very disappointing!

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Ive been mailing stuff for years.  I also 'over' wrap fossils and put into a larger box than normal when I think nessisary.   and still I cross my fingers for good luck. 

RB

The world's postal services seem to play basketball and baseball with the parcels they process. 

I think it's disgraceful the clear lack of care that is taken. :ank:

Very glad no harm was done in this instance, though. :dinosmile: 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Ive been mailing stuff for years.  I also 'over' wrap fossils and put into a larger box than normal when I think nessisary.   and still I cross my fingers for good luck. 

RB

Every idea Ive received from you has been flawless and arrived perfectly. 

...I'm back.

3 hours ago, Washoi said:

I thought the royal mail would be better than that...

It was Hermes i think

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

15 minutes ago, LiamL said:

It was Hermes i think

He should no better then. 

I bet he doesn't treat the gods mail like that! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I've never had a problem with receiving items through the mail, but definitely overwrap, either bubble-wrap, packed in with newspaper to absorb any damage. 

Also, if it says fragile, the orange tape makes it look like a basketball...

22 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The world's postal services seem to play basketball and baseball with the parcels they process. 

I think it's disgraceful the clear lack of care that is taken

Hey Tidgy, years ago I use to hire and fire guys when I was in buisness for myself.  It was a small company and I could keep an eye on things most of the time, but these guys would still screw up.  There were lots of my employees that just didnt care.  Those employees did not last more than a couple of days.  The USPS has more than quite a few employees who Im sure only care about their paycheck, so I dont think things are gunna change.

RB

Some of you may remember the old Samsonite luggage commercial with the gorilla and the suitcase.

The subject was actually based on a former top postal employee. :P

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Hey Tidgy, years ago I use to hire and fire guys when I was in buisness for myself.  It was a small company and I could keep an eye on things most of the time, but these guys would still screw up.  There were lots of my employees that just didnt care.  Those employees did not last more than a couple of days.  The USPS has more than quite a few employees who Im sure only care about their paycheck, so I dont think things are gunna change.

RB

Not just the USA, my friend, it's a global epidemic. :(

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

On 17.9.2018 at 12:34 PM, LiamL said:

despite there being FRAGILE stickers all over the box

This is invitation to play all sorts of ball games with this box.

Yes, overwraping does not hurt, but some things are really, really difficult to mail safely.

Franz Bernhard

• 1 month later...

even if I am confident in Japanese postal services high standard, I always fear for the fossils I send abroad.

I Always try to put fossils of the same size and over wrap it. Until now I never had bad experience but I know French post so I am careful.

That is ironic that fossils found or extracted by men to be saved and care, are destroyed by men whose work is to take care and transport your package form point A to point B

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

Archived