Quick California Hunt

sharko69

Was in California for work and hoped to meet up with a friend for an evening hunt after work but he unfortunately couldn’t make it. He was kind enough to map a location where I could possibly find a tooth. I only had about an hour and a half after getting finished with work for the evening and found the location. Access was pretty easy to get to which was nice on my knees which aren’t getting any younger. The area looked promising but having never hunted the area I was not optimistic I would find anything. There were areas that held some scattered broken fossilized mammal bone so I knew I must be in the right area.

After looking for almost an hour I found a few fossilized fish verts that were very weathered and not in the best condition but that got me excited. Finally sitting right on the surface I spotted my first tooth. At first glance, I thought I had found a small hastilis but after wiping it off, I could see the serrations and knew I had found my first ever great white! It was small but complete and made my day. I looked some more and found a very worn, broken, sunbleached lemon shark tooth root and then a very broken small great white.

As it became time to head back to the hotel, I decided to take the last ten minutes to go a little further down the hill. As I was walking I saw some serrations sticking out of the hill. There wasn’t much and I thought I might have found a nice tiger shark tooth. As I started pulling of the dirt and more of the tooth was exposed, I realized it was large. My hand was shaking as I pulled it out. It was complete and large. My second Great white and a beauty! It measures 2 3/16 inches. I am very thankful to the person who put me on this spot. Great way to end a week of work.

F995795B-2F5D-48F5-B81E-3C456C22F8A3.jpeg

6A0808D2-B8A5-4A26-9774-CD4A47A8B88E.jpeg

7D20364B-5D08-4282-A37D-F2DCCC93C414.jpeg

1EB0E4E0-BB93-4005-9E74-B3B23310519A.jpeg

Glad you were successful! :) 

Great finds! Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

20180917_070755.png

That's not just a Great White tooth, that is a "Daymaker" shark tooth!  What a beauty!!

This is just between you and me buddy, where exactly are we talking about?

( GPS coordinates if you please).

5 minutes ago, caldigger said:

20180917_070755.png

That's not just a Great White tooth, that is a "Daymaker" tooth!  What a beauty!!

This is just between you and me buddy, where exactly are we talking about?

( GPS coordinates if you please).

Same answer as last time... specifically between Sacramento and San Diego;)

Could be Monterey Formation, but its outcrops are all over the place between Sacramento and San Diego so pinpoint is hard.

Can you at least tell us how you found the fossil, or still a secret? (In the dirt, embedded in shale, in a river?)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

15 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Could be Monterey Formation, but its outcrops are all over the place between Sacramento and San Diego so pinpoint is hard.

Can you at least tell us how you found the fossil, or still a secret? (In the dirt, embedded in shale, in a river?)

The fossil was exposed in the shale. Here is a picture.

04DEB189-09CE-45A0-B5C0-A9F28C961FD6.jpeg

Good friend to put you on to a site that yields such excellent fossils. :wub:

Unfortunately I don't think Google Earth will give good enough resolution to match that field photo to a specific location.

Don

4 hours ago, ynot said:

Very nice finds.

Not bad for a hour long hunt in an unfamiliar site.

Wonder what a day would yield? Though, I have had too many days where I find something good only to be skunked on following trips. 

4 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Bingo! Not one, but 2 Great Whites! This was your lucky day!

It really was. Still stoked! Thank you.

Those are some awesome teeth..... GWs are one of my favorites to find. And a little local knowledge can certainly make all the difference in a successful hunt or picking thru discards. Congrats on some great finds:fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

On 9/17/2018 at 6:40 PM, sharko69 said:

Wonder what a day would yield? Though, I have had too many days where I find something good only to be skunked on following trips. 

Or you find something great the first few minutes you get on site and spend (waste) the next 7 hours pounding the ground only to not find another thing.

Been there, done that!!!

Archived