Hi Everyone, this is my first post and I like to thank you for your information.

I will be traveling to the US in October. I'm going to travel in my car from Los Angeles, las vegas, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Amarillo, Oklahoma, Memphis, New Orleans, Panama City, Sarasota, and Orlando.

I want to take advantage of that to do little fossil huntings across that sites.

Obviously, I don't want to do something illegal or wrong while collecting.

I was talking with some guy from natural science and tell me which is legal and which not.

The original idea is to fossil collect near the road. 

Do you know where to find good fossils like ammonites, corals, shells, echinoderms, etc near roads? 

This will be my route. I'm not professional or the next Alan Grant or Charig.:ighappy::ighappy:

I only want one specimen or two from every place if possible.

Thanks to everyone, sorry for my English.

If you tell me where to stop near the road or taking a detour for a mile will be alright.

I have already some point marked but you're the bosses, boys and Girls!!!

Captura.PNG

GJ, welcome to the Forum.

Just a thought...  drive a really big vehicle.  Thousands of miles and hundreds of places to stop and collect will cry out for storage space in your car/truck.

Especially in Florida where you can collect in any waterway (beware of wildlife) for shells, sharks teeth, and corals.  But do not take vertebrate fossils without a fossil collecting certificate and leave the artifacts strictly alone.  Best.

I don't live along that line, so I can't help you at all, but I would suggest you do some of your own internet research yourself. There is a lot of information to be found here if you go to the home page and select specific posts. I can't really tell from your map exactly which roads you'll be using. Your route description is somewhat too generalized and, to be honest, a little overwhelming, which perhaps explains why you haven't had many responses yet. Just curious: what and where is BsAs?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I agree that this may be a bit overwhelming, and that looking at the US subforum by state will be a better approach. From there, you can pose some refinement questions.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

One suggestion would be to hire a guide when you are in Florida that can take you hunting. By doing that, you will be guaranteed to find something and since you are with a guide, you will not need a Vert. Fossil Permit. If you plan to hunt by yourself, you will need a permit from the University of Florida.

There are a couple of guides that you can look at, do a search on the Internet for Florida Fossil guides or maybe Florida fossil hunting. 

Lastly, as the others stated, I would do some research on the Forum and the internet for the areas that you are driving through and see what turns up.

Good Luck.

You  don't state a time table for your locations...in Florida you need to check for river levels...this is still our rainy season...if we have had recent rain, rather than heading to the rivers, beach locations might be better. The other thing, unless you plan to just pick up a few easily accessible, but very average fossils, such as on Venice Beach, you will need to plan a day or at the minimum a half a day to look. Most locations on the rivers are accessible only by boat, and other areas, creek banks for example are often wallk in sites well removed from easy roadside access. As I am typing, I do think if  you see a spoil pile,  or dumped shell for road improvements,  along the road, you might look there....but even that has a caveat. Construction sites in Florida are off limits,  by state Law, unless you have permission. Such permission is sometimes granted by construction foremen, but only when crews aren't working. That is a hit and miss proposition.  When it is a hit, though, it is often great. Good luck. 

Your thread title is very confusing.  What do you mean by "How low can hunting and vacations go"?  My first thought on reading that was that you would be describing a trip centered on debauchery.  I was going to suggest you go to Las Vegas.  If you want to change the title to something more in line with your actual question let me know and I'll see if I can help you edit it.

Don

1 minute ago, FossilDAWG said:

Your thread title is very confusing.  What do you mean by "How low can hunting and vacations go"?  My first thought on reading that was that you would be describing a trip centered on debauchery.  I was going to suggest you go to Las Vegas.  If you want to change the title to something more in line with your actual question let me know and I'll see if I can help you edit it.

Don

I was thinking fossil hunting in death valley, but they do not let You do that anymore.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

What a terrific adventure! :)

A very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco!

I can't help a great deal, but there is this section of the forum :

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/89-united-states/

Click on each of the states that you are passing through and have a look at the posts that are from the different localities you will be visiting or close to. There's bound to be something of use in among all of this lot.

Good luck and i wish you success with your fossil hunting.

Have a great holiday. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Archived