bobbyrohr88

Shark Teeth?

bobbyrohr88

Hey guys... First post here.  I live around the Victoria area here in Ellis County.  I've always been interested in our local history, but my interests have recently shifted to a little 'older' part of our history around here, more specifically when we were covered by warm-water oceans.  I've spent a good portion of this summer walking creeks searching for SOMETHING, ANYTHING, and have came up empty handed. It's my understanding that the Sharks teeth and vertebrae will mostly be located in a specific sediment layer, and apparently I'm missing that. 

Can anybody help me out with identifying good places to search for these 'common' fossils that seem to be eluding me?  Any help is greatly appreciated!!

The Amateur Paleontologist

Welcome to the Forum :)

I myself am pretty interested in the Late Cretaceous fossils from Kansas.

Concerning teeth, you're gonna have to head out west (especially Gove, Logan and Trego counties) - there are numerous exposures of late Cretaceous chalk (the Niobrara Chalk Formation), where one can find fossils of marine creatures, including shark teeth ;) One word of warning, though, most of those exposures are on private farmland, so make sure to get the permission from landowners before you go collecting.

However, there are 2 sites that are available to open surface collecting (i.e. no digging), they are the Castle Rock badlands and the Monument Rocks (in Gove County).

If you want to know more about the fossils from the Kansas Chalk, I'd advise you to buy the 2nd (most recent) edition of Oceans of Kansas - A natural history of the Western Interior Sea, by Michael J. Everhart. It's an excellent, beautifully illustrated, and very informative book.

I hope this helped! 

-Christian

Ramo

Out west is famous for cretaceous fossils, but if you want to find shark teeth, I would suggest you go east of where you

are.  The greenhorn limestone in the 

Russell area has a lot more teeth than the smoky hill chalk out west.  

bobbyrohr88

Thanks guys!  I've been to Castle Rock and Monument Rock both... Beautiful places, but didn't find much.  Ramo, I've gathered a lot of permission along both the Smoky and the Saline

in eastern Ellis and western Russell counties, but haven't really searched much of either.  I've been focused primarily on Big Creek, and apparently that wasn't the greatest usage of my time.

I've built sifters that I drag down the creek with me, stopping every 30 feet or so to do a 'test pan' you might say...but all my efforts have been in vain.  How do people typically go about

searching?  Are they using any kind of tools or are the majority of people just walking sandbars and just using their eyes?  Ramo mentioned the 'Greenhorn Limestone'... Is there an easy

way to identify this layer?

Ramo, I've seen a few of your posts about being local to my area... Would you want to get together sometime and do some searching?  I'd love to have somebody who knows what

they're doing give me some pointers.

Ramo

Bobby, I feel your pain.  Back when i started fossil hunting, I had no clue where to start,  and how or where to look.  I wasted a bunch of time hunting in places that were not supposed to have anything.  Fortunately, I did find some stuff, and since I was in the "wrong" places, some of my finds were scientifically important for being from those layers.  You should research the geological layers and when you learn them, you will be on your way to filling some drawers with fossils.  Send me a PM, and we can meet up sometime this fall.