Possible crocodilian cervical rib, Kem Kem

Being Human

Dimensions: 90mm long ; 60mm base to top of processes
Location: Ifezouane Formation, Taouz, Kem Kem Basin, South Morocco

After a lot of research I'm confident this is a cervical rib (something I didn't even know existed previously). I'd also take a guess that it's crocodilian rather than from a dinosaur.

If it is crocodilian then my impression is that this would have been a pretty substantial croc. Based on some crude extrapolation from an image of a crocodilian skeleton I'm coming up with a figure of something like 5m from nose to tail.

I understand that there were plenty of crocodilian species in the Cretaceous Kem Kem but hopefully maybe someone could confirm if at least my identification is correct, and maybe point me in the direction of a croc expert if there is one.

fossil dinosaur unidentified partial bone K52 2.jpg

fossil dinosaur unidentified partial bone K52 3.jpg

fossil dinosaur unidentified partial bone K52 4.jpg

fossil dinosaur unidentified partial bone K52 1.jpg

Yes, I agree. Definitely a cervical rib. And I also agree that it looks like it might be croc.

I have a few associated Elosuchus scraps that include some skull fragments and a cervical rib. When I compare the rib to the skull parts it looks quite small actually.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thanks guys. Is there any academic worth contacting that specializes in Kem Kem crocodilians in case they could narrow down the species?

Archived