Colorado Finds

minnbuckeye

My wife and I took a four day trip to Colorado over Labor Day and we  were on the move constantly, trying to take in as much scenery as possible. OF COARSE, I had to do a little collecting along the way. As I looked at various rock formations, it quickly became apparent that I was out of my comfort zone. This wasn't Minnesota Ordovician material. I do have a mix of unknowns, both mineral and fossil to present for ID but let me start with these 2 samples collected near the Ammonite Research Site in Kremmling, Co.

The first item was a brownish "thing" that I threw into my backpack to check out later. It really didn't look like a collectors piece. But when I examined it at home a little cleaner and closer up, I was astounded to see these blue streaks.  Any explanations???? If I didn't know better, I would have guessed heart vessels. And yes the blue is that blue in real life.

DSC_0750-002.thumb.JPG.53ccea3d2101c0703f4e26c999b0a395.JPG

DSC_0750-003.JPG.f738361983d1d23f1a79910ff78c6a78.JPG

The second unknown appeared to just be a piece of woody twig, until again at home, a closer inspection was done. Then I noticed what looked like ribs coming out of the wood. Did I bring home a vertebrate fossil? If so, it is illegal. then what do I do? Say my wife found it? Colorado rocks sure tease you into seeing things that don't exist.

2018-09-018.thumb.jpg.a27ffb96b220d8f3610c92013b652b45.jpg

The first object's almost certainly an impression of bone; the blue is weathered apatite and the wiggles may be suture lines marking the edges of bones. I can't say for sure and would need more views of the specimen and better location data to give you a more confident ID.

• I found this Informative 1