More Fla "Creek" Finds

NCSTer

Here's a couple more finds from my Fla "Cookie Cutter" Creek matrix that have me stumped. No idea what they are, but the two look similar enough they may be variations of the same thing; or maybe they're just two similar looking rocks! (1st post has pics of the initial find, 2nd post has the other find plus comparison of the two. Scale is 1mm increments.) Hopefully some of you "CC Creek" or micro experts can point me in the right direction on these. Sorry for the lousy pics but its the best I could do with such small specimens without some better equip -- any suggestions? Thanks for looking.   

Owl 1.png

Owl 3 (2).png

Owl 2.png

Owl 4.png

Only three hrs for a positive ID -- thanks @Peat Burns They do look a lot like modern grape seeds. (Why couldn't I see that before?) I had no idea a grape seed would fossilize with that degree of detail.

3 minutes ago, NCSTer said:

I had no idea a grape seed would fossilize with that degree of detail.

Are You sure it is fossilized?

Many plant bits will turn black because of the tannin in them, only takes a couple of days.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

14 minutes ago, NCSTer said:

Only three hrs for a positive ID -- thanks @Peat Burns They do look a lot like modern grape seeds. (Why couldn't I see that before?) I had no idea a grape seed would fossilize with that degree of detail.

You're quite welcome.  Here are some that I found in Indiana.  These were from a site with a potential for modern contaminants, so I had to get a radiocarbon date on them to verify that they were fossils.  These ended up dating to 15,690 years Before Present. 

VitisComposite.thumb.jpg.957fcb36e46ccf81d4493bbfeffc307d.jpg

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Are You sure it is fossilized?

Many plant bits will turn black because of the tannin in them, only takes a couple of days.

I'm certainly no fossil expert but they do have the look and feel (they are rock hard) of being fossilized. I have not had them carbon dated like @Peat Burns , but thanks to his ID, I've done some research and have found some studies on fossilized vitis,  including one from a site in Tenn which dates them from "late Miocene to early Pliocene" , a bit older than PeatBurn's dating would suggest.

I realize this doesn't shed any light on whether the ones I found are really fossilized, but it does confirm to me that there are grape seeds that have fossilized and still retained quite a bit of detail. Hopefully mine fall into that group.

Thanks for your comments -- I'm learning something with every post, and I guess that's what TFF is all about.

Archived