Strange Marks on Shell?

TNCollector

This shell was found in-situ in a late Oligocene formation. The site represents a shallow tropical near-shore environment in what is now the Gulf of Mexico. What is strange to me is the unusual marking on it that I have not been able to determine the identity of. I want to say that it is a bite mark from something, but I really have no idea as this is really not my area of expertise. Edit: I am not referring to the borehole produced by a predatory snail, but the scratch marks near it.

I figured that it would at least make for an interesting conversation. The shell measures about 2" across.

5ba05813e531d_IMG_0833(2).thumb.jpg.441fa1b6e949f47b10d4e2730225a637.jpg

baby raptor

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I used to find a lot of clams back in the day and I dont remember seeing any scratch marks like that?   I can see that your clam was murdered buy a meat eatin gastropod though. 

RB

Agreed. I have found many of these shells, funny thing is that almost all of them met the same fate.

Perhaps some kind of fish bit it? I just really don't know what else could have bit into it hard enough to leave such a scratch.

I have a few shells with thin, linear gouges. I've always taken them to be worm burrows, specifically since they never fully penetrate the shell.

Two are shown in this post: LINK. Scroll down past the coprolites and gastroliths to find them.

Archived