Jurassic partial bone - fibula? ischium? scapula?

Being Human

Dimensions: 185mm long

I'm having trouble identifying this partial fossil bone. It's only smallish piece with some significant old broken sections but it still has a pretty distinctive blade-like shape and the internal structure visible at the end breaks is interesting.

My amateur impression is that it's too straight for a rib, it's asymmetric so not a chevron, so I was thinking maybe a fibula, or perhaps an ischium or scapula.

Any input welcome.

fossil dinosaur partial unidentified bone Jurassic K03 7.jpg

fossil_bone_k03_7.jpg

fossil_bone_k03_8.jpg

fossil dinosaur partial unidentified bone Jurassic K03 1.jpg

fossil dinosaur partial unidentified bone Jurassic K03 2.jpg

fossil dinosaur partial unidentified bone Jurassic K03 3.jpg

fossil dinosaur partial unidentified bone Jurassic K03 4.jpg

fossil dinosaur partial unidentified bone Jurassic K03 5.jpg

fossil dinosaur partial unidentified bone Jurassic K03 6.jpg

9 hours ago, Being Human said:

it still has a pretty distinctive blade-like shape and the internal structure visible at the end breaks is interesting.

Yes, the end structure does seem unusual... may be result of local chemical? processes. Did you find this?

Maybe @Troodon can help with ID.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

5 hours ago, Innocentx said:

Did you find this?

No, I bought it.

I like the less glamorous unidentified pieces and this being Jurassic Atlas Mountains rather than the usual Cretaceous Kem Kem material made it interesting.

In case it helps, this is my assessment of the original shape at the broken thin end of the shaft, taking into account the missing material on one side and to a lesser extent on the thin blade-like side of the bone.

fossil_bone_k03_8 redux.jpg

I was hoping someone who knows about bones could help you. I'm into a marine Virgilian area midwest US and don't know too much about these things.

Also I have posted stuff which I hoped to get help with and only 2 people looked and weren't of help. I'm beginning to think some days are better than others for posting for ID.:shrug:

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

1 hour ago, Innocentx said:

Also I have posted stuff which I hoped to get help with and only 2 people looked and weren't of help. I'm beginning to think some days are better than others for posting for ID.

Sometimes people are not on site for a while and do not see the post.

Sometimes things are not identifiable and nobody answers because nobody knows what it is.

You are allowed to "bump" (add a new post) a thread if nobody has given a satisfactory answer.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

In the absence of any feedback from the experts I'm going to throw out some amateur comparisons with fossil bone examples I've dredged up from Google.

This one shows my bone fragment alongside an illustration of a Mapusaurus roseae left ischium. I've flipped my example vertically to match the lateral view at the top, which would mean that if my specimen is really an ischium then it's probably a left one.

Note that I'm not proposing my example is in any way related to a Mapusaurus, just that it does seem to have a similar form. Taking into account the missing material on the blade-like side and at the broad end I would say my piece could very easily have had the same overall shape as the distal end (top right) of this theropod ischium.

K03 comparison with Mapusaurus roseae left ischium.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if the fragment can be identified.
However, when looking at the cross section it reminded me a lot of a dorsal sauropod rib (proximal end) that I prepared a while ago.

Archived