Here are the variety of dermal denticals from various ray and shark type creatures from the Martin Marietta cement quarry.  They date around 90 million years ago and were found in the contact between the Austin chalk and Eagle Ford shale.

20180917_175203.jpg

Tankman

Nice pieces.

I have been told that most shark denticles are less than 1 millimeter, any larger than that, then it is a ray or skate. There are a few sharks that defy this rule (bramble shark).

What size are these?

@TroyB Have You seen this thread?

Or this one...

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Nice denticles! I have yet to find one from the quarry myself, but that might change when I go through all the matrix I brought home. 

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Nice pieces.

I have been told that most shark denticles are less than 1 millimeter, any larger than that, then it is a ray or skate. There are a few sharks that defy this rule (bramble shark).

What size are these?

Tony

Placoid scales are less than 1 millimeter.  Sharks and rays both have placoid scales.  Rays also have dermal denticles usually along their mid-line.  Dermal denticles can be much larger than 1 millimeter. The problem arises when  researchers use the terms interchangeably.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

3 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

The problem arises when  researchers use the terms interchangeably.

And being dyslexic makes it real hard for Me to keep them seperate.:wacko:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

21 minutes ago, ynot said:

And being dyslexic makes it real hard for Me to keep them seperate.:wacko:

Tony

Placoid scales and dermal denticles have different purposes.  Placoid scales that cover a shark's body are designed to lessen water resistance and help the shark glide through the water.  Dermal denticles on rays (usually along the mid-line) are more a form of armor to protect the ray from attack.  Rays also have sparse placoid scales that help somewhat with water resistance.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

11 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice pieces.

What size are these?

Or this one...

The smallest ones are about 0.7mm across and the largest ones are about 5mm.

Tankman

Archived