sTamprockcoin

This is a gastropod from the Old Port Frm (ridgely sandstone). I know the fossil is a chert cast coated with Beekite rings. Any ideas as to what the black "crinkled/wavy/ridged" coating between the Beekite & the chert might be? The pattern is different from the rings above it. It is shiny black in sunlight. Fun fact: this came from a public park inside my city limits and was perched on a little pillar of dirt after the rain from the weekend!   

P1020776.jpg

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Unusual things going on with this surface. Do the line patterns in the dark material match up with the lines of the beekite?

Maybe algae grew on the shell and was fossilized with it. Interesting!

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

The patterns do not seem to be related and seem to be different "shapes" as far as I can tell.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

My take on this piece....

Shell buried, turns to pyrite.

Beekite forms, and pyrite alters to a iron oxide (possibly hematite).

Weathering exposes it and @sTamprockcoin finds it and posts it on TFF.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I was thinking iron oxide or some form of manganese. Thanks.

Archived