Is this Ohio creek find a fossil?

kitteh

I found this in a creek, and would like to know if it is even a fossil.  The creek is in southern Ohio, in the mountains on the glacial boundary.  The river Teays ran through this location.  I usually just have a look if passing creeks and don't know a lot about fossils yet,  though I've found crinoids and brachipods in the same spot, and other fossils.  There are a lot of interesting geofacts.   I couldn't find any pictures online that look like this for anything mississipian.  This one is 145 grams.   (I guess the ruler is all inches, I thought one side was centi as I didn't pay close attention until I added them, sorry.)

IMG_0921.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG

IMG_0918.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

Some sandstones will have harder areas within the whole.

When it is broken up and exposed to weathering the harder areas are more resistant and will stick out.

I think You have a piece of sandstone with some iron concretion and differential weathering.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

4 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I'm thinking what Innocentx said - burrows, but it's odd that they're all in a line (or 2 lines?) like that.

Worm tract housing or condo's? :rofl:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Archived