Petrified wood or rock

Kolbs

Hey all you wonderful folks... I have had this rather heavy piece of what I think is petrified wood for a few years... I found it in outside of jasper park ( Alberta Canada) along a river area or in British Columbia area again along a river I can’t remember which... I was excited when I found it because it looks sooo unique and it is quite heavy for its size my would be a lb or lb and half... any way so I am really looking at it today and now I am questioning if she is petrified wood lol please help me I “wood” (aha) appreciate it. Thank you 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just now, Kolbs said:

Hey all you wonderful folks... I have had this rather heavy piece of what I think is petrified wood for a few years... I found it in outside of jasper park ( Alberta Canada) along a river area or in British Columbia area again along a river I can’t remember which... I was excited when I found it because it looks sooo unique and it is quite heavy for its size my would be a lb or lb and half... any way so I am really looking at it today and now I am questioning if she is petrified wood lol please help me I “wood” (aha) appreciate it. Thank you 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi, look like it is one, but, please, wait for more knowlageable one's opinion.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

The last pic looks promising....would it be possible to get a view of both ends?

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

I have a piece which has good diagnostics for fossil wood(piece is 3" wide). Do you see anything similar(like vascular structures) when you look with magnification?007.jpg.370d1e66ea39c680d3f56f673782a169.jpg5ba2841589823_cellstructurestreefossil.jpg.e1248deda6c0087a22e1580baf01f455.jpg

Magnification of central area.^

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida. :) There is a good possibility it is wood, but in the last pic left side I'm thinking tumbled bone???? I've been looking at lot of my beach tumbled bone and I see similarities. What do you think TFF?

@Bronzviking Without evidence of wood cell structure this may very well be bone. It's so hard to tell from photos. Maybe forthcoming photos of ends will tell a story.

Bottom one looks like wood. Interesting something at the bottom of first end pic.

If it's wood, then the grain as shown in these last photos may indicate a burl of some kind and not trunk or limb wood.

This is from the first end view.  Anyone know what it could be?  

Capture+_2018-09-19-19-32-36.png

Archived