Juvenile Meg tooth real or fake

Sonic0627

Hey guys I just got this and when I first looked at the photos I thought it was real. So I bought it but now that I see it in person seems doctored or fake maybe???? What do you guys think real or fake?

F68825F1-315F-40BA-84AA-3CFB53167081.jpeg

Edited by Sonic0627

Looks polished, but other than that, looks pretty good. Most effort in "faking" meg teeth are on the 6+ inches range, can't say I've seen instances of fakes for juve megs. 

Awesome I’m glad I did good on the tooth. :meg:love it as a necklace since I love the ocean and fossils/ dinosaurs it threw me off with the coated look. The fakes I’ve seen with juvenile megs don’t look nearly as nice mostly flat black or bright white and look like plastic. 

Edited by Sonic0627

Looking at the picture, I would say the only "polishing" was performed by water/ wave action. I have many teeth with this exact look straight from streams.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 hours ago, cck said:

They are 3D printing these so beware!

Do you have any examples of this? I'd be interested to see how these compare to the real deal, never hurts to understand and find the differences. 

11 minutes ago, FrozenFlame said:

Do you have any examples of this? I'd be interested to see how these compare to the real deal, never hurts to understand and find the differences. 

If you just Google " 3D print shark tooth" you will come up with many examples. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

13 hours ago, cck said:

They are 3D printing these so beware!

This is tooth in the necklace has not been 3d printed, the tooth here has water wear around the root showing the structure and flaking of the enamel both would be far to time consuming to fake on such a small tooth.

Yeah it’s crazy how easy people can fake them I have 3D printed items for a Star Wars armor I’m doing. If you clean and paint the item right it looks like the real deal. 

I feel it would be rather difficult to fake water wear of a fossil and for what gain ok yes it would look more like the genuine article but a small megladon tooth of this size would roughly range in the price of 20 to 40 USD, this is just an example please note I'm not trying to evaluate this piece. Now let's consider the amount of time it would take to print one plus the wearing down of it to make it look water worn and then the paint job which would have to be hand done to paint the splits in the enamel plus the texture of the root and as you can imagine this would take a long time. With this I conclude it would be more expensive for the seller to manufacture one than to find a real one at wholesale and thus forth would indicate that it is indeed a real tooth.

• 3 weeks later...