Wanted: Modern shark jaw

Darktooth

Hi everyone! In November I will be doing a presentation for my local club on sharks. The title will be "Sharks: The Living Fossil ". I would like to get my hands on a shark jaw to use for the presentation for a visual aid. I could either do a trade or purchase. Or if there is a kind soul out there who may possibly be willing to loan one to me? I would highly appreciate any and all offers. Thanks in advance 

Darktooth Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

You in a bathing suit, a sharp knife, a swim in shark infested water and a sirloin hanging from your neck.

Shouldn't be too long before you get one. :P

39 minutes ago, Fossil Claw said:

My favorite auction site has a ton of them inexpensive prices

Thanks, I didn't even think of that! I will check it out if Doren's idea doesn't pan out.:D

38 minutes ago, caldigger said:

You in a bathing suit, a sharp knife, a swim in shark infested water and a sirloin hanging from your neck.

:hearty-laugh:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Wouldn't you get arrested for killing threatened species + animal cruelty though? :P

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

47 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Wouldn't you get arrested for killing threatened species + animal cruelty though? :P

Just make sure there aren't any PETA personel on the beach.

Do people even go to the beach in New York anyhow? :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to give a Thank-you to @Woopaul5 for sending me a very nice Mako shark jaw! This very generous member offered it for nothing in return, but I insist that he gets something for the kind gesture so something will be sent his way soon. Thanks again for fullfilling my request.

Dave

Also I want to say Thanks to @Coco

For also offering, I may contact you sometime in the future.

20181014_150411.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

14 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Nope, you missed your window!  All offers are off the table now. :P

That jaw full of stiletto blades is not something you want taking a friendly nibble on your leg with. Yeouch!

4 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I wanted to give a Thank-you to @Woopaul5 for sending me a very nice Mako shark jaw! This very generous member offered it for nothing in return, but I insist that he gets something for the kind gesture so something will be sent his way soon. Thanks again for fullfilling my request.

Dave

20181014_150411.jpg

No problem at all. Just trying to help out when I can. Hopefully after the move i’ll Be able to contribute some more. 

• 1 month later...

I am all ready for my presentation tomorrow and here is all my props. I don't claim to be an expert. I will be speaking as a Shark Enthusiast. My goal is to provide interesting shark facts to my club and maybe get club members as interested in sharks as I am. Wish me luck!:meg:

IMG953158.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Good luck and a great looking show of teeth very interesting indeed  "You’re gonna need a bigger car." :)

4 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Good luck and a great looking show of teeth very interesting indeed  "You’re gonna need a bigger car." :)

Thanks Bobby!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Good luck Dave!  I'm sure you'll do an excellent job! :dinothumb:

Thank-you Monica! My only concern is that sometimes I clam up, when talking in front of a large crowd. Sometimes I am fine with it, other times not so much.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

8 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Thank-you Monica! My only concern is that sometimes I clam up, when talking in front of a large crowd. Sometimes I am fine with it, other times not so much.

Just remember that you are the subject matter expert in the room, and that these people are genuinely interested and enthusiastic about what you have to tell them. I do this almost every day, and it is a little like acting (or being possessed!). By the end of it, you'll wonder why you had any jitters at all. Don't go in too scripted, and remember to talk TO them (like a conversation) and not AT them! :) Remember, these people are friendlies!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Good luck, Dave! :)

I'm sure you'll do an excellent job and your enthusiasm will infect at least some of your audience and encourage them to become more interested in these wonderful creatures. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Just remember that you are the subject matter expert in the room, and that these people are genuinely interested and enthusiastic about what you have to tell them. I do this almost every day, and it is a little like acting (or being possessed!). By the end of it, you'll wonder why you had any jitters at all. Don't go in too scripted, and remember to talk TO them (like a conversation) and not AT them! :) Remember, these people are friendlies!

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Good luck, Dave! :)

I'm sure you'll do an excellent job and your enthusiasm will infect at least some of your audience and encourage them to become more interested in these wonderful creatures. 

Thanks for the support Kane and Adam!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Wow, that's some crazy fossil-shark-mania! I suggest you send a case or two to me so that I can inspect them closely before your talk ;) 

Good luck Dave, I'm sure you'll get them all completely hooked! :dinothumb:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

40 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Wow, that's some crazy fossil-shark-mania! I suggest you send a case or two to me so that I can inspect them closely before your talk ;) 

Good luck Dave, I'm sure you'll get them all completely hooked! :dinothumb:

Thanks Max! I am shipping them over right now. Just make sure they are home by 6 pm.:ighappy:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Dave, you’ll be fine. You know much more than your audience as has said. I used to be terrified of this type of thing but do it regularly in my field of work including TV appearances. Don’t talk too fast, don’t read notes line for line (prompts cards are good tho) and give eye contact to everyone. It’s a blast and you’ll love it. 

Let us us know how much you enjoyed it and we wanna see photos taken by your audience!

9 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Dave, you’ll be fine. You know much more than your audience as has said. I used to be terrified of this type of thing but do it regularly in my field of work including TV appearances. Don’t talk too fast, don’t read notes line for line (prompts cards are good tho) and give eye contact to everyone. It’s a blast and you’ll love it. 

Let us us know how much you enjoyed it and we wanna see photos taken by your audience!

Thanks for the kind words Captain Pugwash!:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Archived