Mammoth tusk and tooth color enhancing when restoring

Mammoet

Hello all,

I am in the process of restoring 2 beige mammoth tooth, but before going on with a butvar dip, I was wondering if anyone has a good tip in order to enhance the natural colors of fossils. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What natural colors are you wanting. In all actuality, the color you have is likely pretty close to what it would have looked like in the critters mouth.

I don't want to change the tones that much. Just to make the brownish tones pop a little more. Keeping it as natural looking as possible.

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

the color you have is likely pretty close to what it would have looked like in the critters mouth

If you want it to look really natural like it did in the critters mouth, you could paint on some yellow plaque, but that's probably not what you're after. :D

Coating it with dilute butvar or paraloid would probably darken it a bit, while leaving the color natural. 

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

Before you put a coating on them, consider putting them in a dilute bleach solution to even out the color. Then rinse well.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Before you put a coating on them, consider putting them in a dilute bleach solution to even out the color. Then rinse well.

Do not put these teeth in water!!!  You would end up with the enamel plates splitting from one another as the cementum absorbs the water and swells.  This is a fundamental rule with vertebrate fossils:  Once dried, do not re-wet with water!  I know, I know, you may be able to think of exceptions like shark teeth; but, exceptions prove the rule.  Don't gamble that your fossil will fall into the exception category.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Do not worry, I don't intend on putting them in water. Nor will I bleeach them. I like the uneven colors and I just want them to pop out a bit! The butvar or paraloid will probably be enough to provide that look.

Thanks Harry for the advice. I should not have made a blanket statement that all teeth should be put in water. The bones and teeth that I have seen, mostly in Texas, were almost without exception solid enough to withstand being wetted. I sometimes place my solid fossils in bleach to reduce stains.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, Mammoet said:

I'm going with paraloid. (Same as butvar) what ratio would you recommend for a coating?

1 part Paraloid added to 50 parts acetone by volume. Submerge in solution until bubbles stop coming out. Remove and let it sit on a cardboard flat in a well ventilated area until all acetone has evaporated (typically 24 hours is sufficient).

Archived