Steve D.

Howdy All! 

Been a couple of months since I have posted anything. Work has kept me more than busy with travel. BUT, I wanted to share a quick day trip to my dig site yesterday in northern Cincinnati. I explored far left into the hillside I am excavating to see on the surface what Gastropods, Brachiopods and Bryzoa I could see and I was happily surprised that I found the mother-load! This area of my site was covered by a lot of growth and the runoff of water was less than in other areas I have been digging. I have attached a couple of pics and some real quick finds I cleaned up last night... sorry about the pic quality, I do not own a fancy camera. :)

I love when I am lined up with conference calls and I can enjoy my hobby why listening to statistical analysis (actually mostly ignoring). I will try to save more pics in the comment sections. One specimen has me confused. I found a number of trilobite pieces throughout my day and collected around 25 hash plates with several in them. I have yet to clean them up. But pictured below (if it lets me) is what appears to be the bottom portion of a trilobite but I'm unsure. 

20180920_112838 (2).jpg

20180920_223634 (2).jpg

Part of an Orthocone cephalopod. :) 

Neat finds. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

47 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Part of an Orthocone cephalopod. :) 

Neat finds. 

Thanks!!!! Are these rare to find during the Paleozoic era?

23 minutes ago, Steve D. said:

Thanks!!!! Are these rare to find during the Paleozoic era?

(statistical analysis) ewwww. Doing the math is one thing(love it), but listening to others babel on about the results always made me wince. 

Not really. You have some pretty common finds, but that hash plate is busy busy busy! I love these plates as you get more bang for your buck. Have you tried a light brushing with hydrogen peroxide(3%-5-%solution) to remove the shale and other debris covering the plate? The oxygen bubbles created by the nucleation sites should help lift the dirt and other maternal covering your fossils on the plate. You can also use a baking soda/water solution to the plate for creating nucleation sites as well, but I wouldn't use a brush on it as it might be too abrasive. Personally, I would not remove them from the slab as I feel it takes away from the context of the find. I have several plates like this on display in my cabinets. 

Wonderful finds and thanks for sharing them with us!

Best regards, 

Paul

...I'm back.

Your dig site supplys some realy nice goddys! Congrats!

Did you discover this site yourself?

Whats the age? Ordovician-Silurian?

Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

3 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

Not really. You have some pretty common finds, but that hash plate is busy busy busy! I love these plates as you get more bang for your buck. Have you tried a light brushing with hydrogen peroxide(3%-5-%solution) to remove the shale and other debris covering the plate? The oxygen bubbles created by the nucleation sites should help lift the dirt and other maternal covering your fossils on the plate. You can also use a baking soda/water solution to the plate for creating nucleation sites as well, but I wouldn't use a brush on it as it might be too abrasive. Personally, I would not remove them from the slab as I feel it takes away from the context of the find. I have several plates like this on display in my cabinets. 

Wonderful finds and thanks for sharing them with us!

Best regards, 

Paul

I have seven more just like the one pictured. I have to slow roll the cleaning of them since I can only get to the dig site once every two months due to work haha I want to say that this is from the Ordovician period but I'm not completely sure. 

1 hour ago, FranzBernhard said:

Your dig site supplys some realy nice goddys! Congrats!

Did you discover this site yourself?

Whats the age? Ordovician-Silurian?

Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

This site really is a great place to dig. I discovered it while on conference call during the winter at a warehousing site for my company. My oldest son (4) is completely into prehistoric life and I have always been interested in fossils since a kid. I started to find rugose all over the ground where I was standing. So... I started collecting the coral and cleaning it (two years ago). From then I realized that the companies that built into the grounds had excavated a nice area and a healthy supply of these plates. To be honest, the site could take me 30 years to completely explore since the over growth is so abundant and the ability to dig deep (it is an incline) proves troublesome with the company on the top of the hill. 

9 hours ago, Steve D. said:

This site really is a great place to dig. I discovered it while on conference call during the winter at a warehousing site for my company. My oldest son (4) is completely into prehistoric life and I have always been interested in fossils since a kid. I started to find rugose all over the ground where I was standing. So... I started collecting the coral and cleaning it (two years ago). From then I realized that the companies that built into the grounds had excavated a nice area and a healthy supply of these plates. To be honest, the site could take me 30 years to completely explore since the over growth is so abundant and the ability to dig deep (it is an incline) proves troublesome with the company on the top of the hill. 

Thanks for the info. Lucky you! Self-discovered sites are always the best. Got luck there for you and your son in the future!
Franz Bernhard

Wonderful finds - Paleozoic fossils are the best, aren't they?! :)

Congrats on the great haul - I hope you continue to find more goodies! :fingerscrossed:

16 hours ago, Steve D. said:

I have seven more just like the one pictured. I have to slow roll the cleaning of them since I can only get to the dig site once every two months due to work haha I want to say that this is from the Ordovician period but I'm not completely sure. 

If, in deed, you are in "northern Cincinnati" you are most certainly in the Ordovician. In particular you are in the Upper Ordovician and because the fossils and geology around that area is so rich, and was studied so early on, we refer to the Upper Ordovician of North America as the "Cincinnatian Series."

Go to these two sites for a wealth of data: https://strata.uga.edu/cincy/ & http://www.drydredgers.org

Archived