davidcpowers

I found this possible plant fossil. I am hoping for an id. Accompanying this fossil are brachiopods and other marine fossils. This fossil came from the Otter Formation in central Montana. The Otter Formation is listed as an open and semi-restricted marine. This formation is Meramecian and Chesterian Mississippian.

The plant appears to be fibrous. No scale structure is present. In very fine sedimentary silty clay shale. These sediments capture fine details. I have included a photo of another fossil group of bryozoa to show the level of preservation of details.

plant.jpg

plant-detail.jpg

bryozoan-hash.jpg

• 1 year later...

If you found it amongst other definitely marine fossils like brachiopods, it might not be a plant at all. Maybe a bryozoan? Or maybe the root of a plant?

Do you have a clearer close-up? It does look speckly and grooved. Very interesting.

Bob Clouser

Thank you for you interest in this possible plant fossil.

I'm not sure why I included the photo of a plate of a number of different bryozoan. That picture only confuses the question.

No the plant fossil is not some type of bryozoan.  I have already identified the bryozoan and productid brachiopod present in strata that overlaid the strata that was home to the fossil in question.

Here is another photo pf the fossil in question.

mississippian plant kibbey.jpg

I would think it is something related to primitive fern. Maybe Cladoxylopsida? 

The bryozoans speak about Paleozoic era, Cladoxylopsids were the oldest trees known from Middle Devonian to Early Carboniferous. :)