micro-paleontology artwork composition

taylorcustom

I am in the process of creating a micropaleontology themed artwork., and even after having received a good amount of expert help, I feel overwhelmed by the subject and would like to get more opinions on my composition. The piece will consist of a series of disc-shaped layers, each of which will  bear microfossils from a different geologic time period. These layers will be stacked like a roll of coins, so as to look like a drill core.

The attached image shows a part of my research spreadsheet, including images and descriptions of each layer. If anyone here has any thoughts on the organisms I have chosen, or how I have portrayed them, I would love to hear! Am I missing any perennial favorites? Is my selection skewed too much in one direction or another?

Thanks for taking the time to look, and thanks in advance for your comments!

micropaleontology-spreadsheet-01.png

Hi

Very good idea, does each slice show the era when the fossils you have chosen first appeared in the geological record? Or are they just random from what was around at the time? Difficult to show the detail in physical artwork.

Never ask a starfish for directions

37 minutes ago, Brittle Star said:

Hi

Very good idea, does each slice show the era when the fossils you have chosen first appeared in the geological record? Or are they just random from what was around at the time? Difficult to show the detail in physical artwork.

Thanks! I've tried to place many of the fossils in the epoch(s) in which they either first or last appeared, but some also appear at random within their time-frame.

I also tried, initially to populate each layer with fossils that might be found together in benthic or shallow environments, but I'm not sure how well I've succeeded.

I should add to my initial post that one item I am particularly uncertain about is the Triassic Dinocyst... I've researched this online at length, and all of the photos I have so-far found are of fossils from the Jurassic.

Archived